About Me

My photo
Ten years into widowhood, after one year of incredible happiness and nearly 14 years of single blessedness. Retired, and mostly enjoying it. Still knitting. [Zen]tangling.again after a brief hiatus.

Sunday, April 27, 2008

So Maybe They’re Not *All* Dead? And I’m Smarter than Holly Golightly

Thursday morning, I had one of those moments when I was momentarily Not Invisible. [Yes, they are rare enough to be eminently blog-worthy.] And the “wonder of it all” ~ to borrow a phrase from Brother Eric ~ is that he was a middle-aged white boy.

“We have learned by sad experience” ~ to borrow from a different brother, Brother Joseph this time ~ that middle-aged white boys in Texas are almost invariably fixated on very-much-younger blondes. Not always, but often enough to be statistically significant. [This has been well-documented in the annals of Cellphone Hissyfits Today, one of the most esteemed psychology journals of our time.]

It was a little weird to look up and greet the gentleman at my desk and see that flicker of “hello there” in his eyes, and answer back with my own. I grinned all morning.

Yeah, I need to get out more. And I need to *go* out more. But that requires initiative on somebody else’s part, and we all know that I have no control over that.

On to another topic. Do you have any idea how long it takes to unwrap seven DVD’s? I downloaded and upgraded my McAfee subscription while I did so. Sat down on the couch with my fashionably late breakfast [some six-grain cereal nuked in apple juice] and “Shall We Dance”.

I’m not excessively fond of either J-Lo or Richard Gere, though I adore Susan Sarandon and Stanley Tucci. I was pleased to see that the trailer features the Japanese original, which I rented several years ago and adored. [Brother Sushi owns both versions; he is a man of catholic tastes.] I was amazed at how much I enjoyed the American version. I like how the husband and wife obviously love each other after 19 years of marriage; call me sentimental if you will, but faithfulness is something that I notice. And approve of.

You also know how much I hate-loathe-and-despise the F-word. And I have to warn you that it is used, *once*, in this movie, yet was easily the best use of said word in any movie I have ever seen that contained it. [I, umm, actually laughed. Hooted, really. I’ll go sit in the corner now.] I was far more upset by the gratuitous use of the Lord’s name in vain. That just flat infuriates me.

So, overall a surprisingly good movie. It is respectful of marriage and fidelity. And even the minor characters get to grow.

I won a Williams-Sonoma cookbook on eBay yesterday. I’m bidding on another pair of clogs. I have been trying to win a pair in this particular color for about a year and a half.

As for Ms. Golightly? Well, I’m definitely a better knitter, and I’ve never stolen anything from a five and dime. I hope, oh I so devoutly hope, that when Real Love comes a-knockin’ on my door, that I’m smart enough to figure it out before I find myself standing in an alley with a wet cat and without my knitting.

*exasperated snort*

I found a pair of walking shoes that fits.



And I also bought these.



Would somebody please explain to me what it means, that I bought girly shoes. I have worn clogs, and only clogs, for eight years, ever since I had the second surgeries for ingrown toenails. I wore them to Secondborn’s wedding; I wore them to her big sister’s wedding as well. They’re not foofy and feminine, but they are comfortable, and they prevent further problems with my feet.

I called Brother Sushi. He finds this as inexplicable as I do. Is it some weird culmination of the eye-sparking on Thursday, and the verbal sparring on Friday night, and two romantic movies in one day? Have what are left of my hormones, run amok on me? Is it the pheromonal equivalent of the Gulf Stream, bearing who-knows-what to me in the immediate future? Is it simply the recent full moon, or the tornadoes?

Because I don’t think we’re in Kansas anymore, Toto. Not with these shoes.



Putting on my turn signal for another change of topic. Had a blast at my birthday bash! Quite a few of my favorite people were able to make it. We had cake and punch first, and then we headed over to LittleBit’s restaurant. Yes, I had to stand and wave the dinner napkin and shout “Ole! Ole!” when the restaurant staff serenaded me. It’s been videotaped. Twice. Once it’s been YouTube’d, I’ll put in a link.

I think I will eat my leftover tortilla soup for breakfast. Just because I can. And I’ll save the pictures of the birthday bash, and the birthday loot, for another post.

But first, eine kleine yarn-musik.



More turquoise. And all the new stuff that’s on its way from KnitPicks, is one shade of teal or another. Turquoise, yes. Teal, yes. But not blue per se. I am not being sucked over to the dark side!

No comments: