About Me

My photo
Ten years into widowhood, after one year of incredible happiness and nearly 14 years of single blessedness. Retired, and mostly enjoying it. Still knitting. [Zen]tangling.again after a brief hiatus.

Wednesday, May 14, 2008

I have “No Reservations” about “Mostly Martha”.

Somebody, I think it was Kristen, asked if I’d seen either or both. And the answer to that is “yes”. Both, and I like them both. And I like both soundtracks, and I think it’s funny that both scores share that wonderfully ditzy jazzy song.

This appealed to my sense of whimsy.

Link to another article that will make you think.

I love Bloglines. I love getting notified when one of my girls posts to her blog, or one of my friends. I am a relative latecomer to brooklyntweed’s blog. That smoke ring he is knitting just knocks my [hand-knitted] socks off! I clicked on the link he provided, and I like the pattern, and I balk at paying $5.95 to ship a $5.00 pattern. I think the pattern would be perfect for my lone skein of Jojoland Cashmere.

But I also think that I will be sitting down with my four volumes of Barbara Walker and designing my own. Blame it on eBay, where my formula for maximum bid on an item is that X plus shipping should be no more than half of retail. So, when shipping is more than the cost of an item, I think twice. And sometimes three or four times.

I have been really lucky on eBay recently. Two new-to-me pairs of shoes. Dishes in one of the patterns that I collect, at hardly more than yard sale prices. Yesterday I scored 36 pieces of silver flatware, missing only one teaspoon, which I just happen to have, packed away in one of the boxes in my dining room. For $15.50 plus shipping. I was outbid on the kitchen toy that I want, and that’s OK. That particular item shows up much more frequently than buses, trains, or age-appropriate men.

I am nearly ready to begin the pattern on Serpentine [medium]. If I don’t drown in the deluge that’s coming down.

3 comments:

Tan said...

I saw Mostly Martha in German; can't remember the German title. But I loved it. The DVD came with recipes.

Lynn said...

Tan, as ever you're an overachiever. And we love you anyway. :)

Jackie E-S said...

Hi Lynn,
Sounds like you were at Shopatron where the shipping and 'finders fee for locating a retailer with the patterns in stock' is a flat $5.95 for ANY number of patterns. It can be a good deal if you are buying several (which many people do), but of course if you are interested in just a single pattern, it's probably best for you yourself to look around for availability (there is a Store Locator at the HeartStringsFiberArts.com website). Also, many patterns (including the smoke ring patterns) are available as downloadable PDF's, and those sites that have licensed downloads are also listed at the Store Locator. I only wholesale, not retail, otherwise I would offer to send the pattern out to you directly. Let me know if this helps. Happy knitting!

Jackie E-S / HeartStrings FiberArts