About Me

My photo
Eleven years into widowhood, after one year of incredible happiness and nearly 14 years of single blessedness. Retired, and mostly enjoying it. Still knitting. [Zen]tangling.again after a brief hiatus.

Sunday, September 07, 2008

Stilettos? I’ll pass, thanks!

I found this link through an article on the intranet at work. It appears to be a website devoted to the nurturing and edification of young widows. Apparently, old widows and grass widows* [divorcees like me] wear clogs, and jeans from Wal-Mart? Levity aside, I can see that a young widow might have additional issues from those I have dealt with. The web site sells related books and CD’s. I cannot vouch for their usefulness or appropriateness. Caveat emptor, and all that.

Thought for awhile that I was going to be a youngish widow, and no, I am not disappointed to have dodged that bullet. My kids need their dad. [Mine has been gone for almost 20 years, and there are days when I just flat need my dad. And, more often, my mom.]

*Be sure to read the entire entry. That’s me: out to pasture!

I had a little falling-down at Knitspot’s shop yesterday. Bought the PDF’s for Lacewing and Fiddlehead. I spent almost the entire day at home, watching Eloy and his crew paint the trim on the duplex. This is the kitchen window, which will have black shutters in the very near future.



They have windows to scrape today, and one or two window frames to paint as well, but even with paint-splotched windows it’s looking pretty spiffy chez Ravelled. This is the back door. Apparently it will be grey like the rest of the house, and not red like the new front doors with their mantels.



I took these pictures around 5:00pm. There is a window hiding behind those crepe myrtles.



About 8:00pm, after much knitting and several long phone conversations with friends and family, I headed out for a little therapeutic shopping. [I prefer to go out after the really tempting places close, so as not to utterly destroy my budget.]

Came home with a work-appropriate pair of jeans, two ball point pen refills for the pen that was a gift and fits my hand so well, a generic liquid soap pump and a ginormous refill bottle for that. I am soaking the pump bottle that held lavender/chamomile liquid soap in the bathroom sink. I will refill it with milk/honey moisturizing soap, because chapped hands do not make for happy knitting, especially if the yarn in question is silk.

I also came home with the usual gallon of milk, and a “sock set” package from Susan Bates containing aluminum DP’s in sizes from 000 to 1. When I was rooting around for my spare KnitPicks Options cable and the cable key yesterday, I rediscovered that flamboyant skein which I brought home from the sock yarn exchange with the Sisters of the Wool last Christmas. [ Just in case I do not feel like casting on MS4 when I finish Adamas.] The sock yarn is for another MimKnits design, Eleanora, which is sitting in the frog pond because apparently size 00 needles are too large for my natural gauge.

While I spent a couple of hours yesterday afternoon researching yarn substitutions for the KnitSimple cardi [I love Excel for comparison shopping, particularly when it comes time to calculate what a given yarn would cost], I did not actually pick up the phone and place an order with KnitPicks. Or anybody else, except for those two Knitspot patterns to knit up what I had already queued in Ravelry.

And while I ate on the average of every two waking hours yesterday, I ate responsibly and did not empty the fridge or the pantry. I did get around to sampling the aguacate torta for dinner last night. I thought it was going to be something like a gordita and all greasy, but it is more like the Mexican equivalent of a vegetarian sub sandwich on a crisp roll. Refried beans on one side, alfalfa sprouts and whispers of sliced onion and ginormous amounts of sliced avocado on top of that, and then the top half of the roll. I sliced it into fourths and ate half and saved the rest for today.

Firstborn and 1BDH spent some time at the hospital last night and came back with no real news; the nurse couldn’t tell them anything. So they are going back this morning and hoping to catch the doctor on his/her rounds. LittleBit said that her dad apologized for scaring the daylights out of her.

I have one row left on the last repeat of chart 2 on Adamas. So I am heading back to my room to do that and to get started on chart 3, which I think has twelve rows instead of ten. At the moment I have 399 stitches on my circular needle. More increases lie ahead; I wonder how long this will take to bind off?

1 comment:

Sherry said...

Your house is looking great! I hope that Hunsdon continues to improve and will keep all of you in my prayers. Hang in there.....