About Me

My photo
Ten years into widowhood, after one year of incredible happiness and nearly 14 years of single blessedness. Retired, and mostly enjoying it. Still knitting. [Zen]tangling.again after a brief hiatus.

Friday, November 28, 2008

Giant Talking Lobsters?

My friend 4KidsLittleHouse [sadly, blogless] got me reading Non Sequitur about ten years ago. Wiley Miller is amazing! I didn’t much like Danae, until she found Lucy the miniature Clydesdale, who has somehow managed to humanize her. [Equify her?] And Kate, her sister, has Petey the dog, and their dad [unlike Calvin-of-Calvin-and-Hobbes’ parents] talks to the animals, and they talk back. Just not quite in the same sense as Danae.



The current storyline is promising. Anytime a giant blue lobster walks into a diner and says, “Yo...” it’s safe to say you’ll have my attention.

Kind of like: Blonde walks into a bar. Says “Ouch.”

Dinner yesterday was wonderful, relaxing, filling. They seated us at what looked like a table halfway under an arch, with another couple to the right of us and two spaces in between. I thought, “OK, a little weird, but it’s pretty crowded. I’ll just pretend they’re not here.” It wasn’t until halfway or more through dinner that I snuck a look at the people to the right of us and realized that the woman was me.

The grandkids were on their way out the door by the time we got to Firstborn’s. BittyBubba was contemplating a pre-nap meltdown, and BittyBit was completing a power yoga session with Aunt Firstborn, the perfect warmup to a power struggle with her mother, which Secondborn politely but decisively won.

The remaining girls were musical: Firstborn and the three youngest all started singing the opening lines from “Beauty and the Beast”. Loudly, and impeccably on key. Brother Sushi and 1BDH were visiting and watching football in the living room. Fiancé was cringing, out in the dining room with us. I was laughing and wiping my eyes.

The knitting continues. I finished the first quarter or so of the scarf before bedtime. I hope to reach the halfway mark today, or the end of the first ball of yarn, whichever is longer.

I’ll leave you with something sublime, in contrast with all the ridiculousness that precedes it. My new friend Francis posted this yesterday.

2 comments:

Rory said...

Oh come on, we weren't THAT loud... Okay we probably were, but he should be used to it by now. LOL.

Jenni said...

At least when we sing loudly, we still do it well.

Thanks for stopping by, it was fun.