About Me

My photo
Ten years into widowhood, after one year of incredible happiness and nearly 14 years of single blessedness. Retired, and mostly enjoying it. Still knitting. [Zen]tangling.again after a brief hiatus.

Monday, November 03, 2008

Warm

Behold the spiffy fireplace which will keep me warm this winter. [Sadly, Sean Connery, Antonio Banderas, and Alan Rickman all seem to have prior commitments.]



The weather has warmed up again, so I am not likely to need the fireplace for a bit longer, but it is ready. I do believe that I will pick up the makings for s’mores the next time I go grocery shopping, as well as the rest of the ingredients I need to make a recipe I found in Southern Living for a rocky road cake baked in the crockpot. I think that would be an excellent, and easy, contribution to our next singles potluck. I will need to test-drive the recipe first.

I know I’ve mentioned the art installation at the fire station which I pass on my way to church. I don’t know how many times I drove by before I noticed it.



Here is a close-up. I was standing maybe two yards away.



And here is the plaque. Click to embiggen.



The tower has one word on each window: Duty



Vigilance



Honor



Courage



We do not pay them anywhere near what they are worth. We couldn’t; they are priceless.

2 comments:

HaveFaith said...

Nice to know that someone else thinks Alan Rickman is hot! Loved him so much in Quigley Down Under.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful.

When we lived in NH, the housing market was skyrocketing and the firemen were being paid almost minimum wage. One of the town councilmen, when told that was unacceptable, told the paper, "I don't see anyone calling me and telling me to raise their taxes to give you a raise."

I promptly looked up his phone number, called him, identified myself, my phone number, and my address in town, and demanded, "Raise my taxes and give those men the living wage they deserve." So there.