About Me

My photo
Ten years into widowhood, after one year of incredible happiness and nearly 14 years of single blessedness. Retired, and mostly enjoying it. Still knitting. [Zen]tangling.again after a brief hiatus.

Tuesday, May 12, 2009

3x = Charm?

So yesterday when I woke up, I compared the beginning of the right sleeve to the cuff of the finished left sleeve and realized that I had started the second color on the wrong edge. I frogged back and started over. Then, when I was nearly to the station in Dallas, I took a good squint at my knitting needle, which suddenly seemed positively obese. I pulled out my needle gauge. Sure enough; I was still using the size 6 needle I had used for casting-on, instead of the size five needle I had used for the back and the left sleeve/front.

Ribbit.

And in other false steps, I nearly took a header between the train and the bus. I didn’t twist my ankle. I’m not sure exactly what happened, if I had a woozy spell [I generally notice that whoosh which is more seen than heard] or if I stepped wrong on the pavement, but I staggered for half a dozen steps like a sailor in port, dropping my red bag upright on the sidewalk and managing to stay somewhat vertical myself. The guy behind me reached out to steady me, but I had my hand on the door to the bus at that point, reached down for my bag, and shakily climbed the steps.

Let me tell you, that put my heartbeat well into the aerobic range for a couple of minutes! I was a bit too rattled to knit but otherwise unharmed, and there was no repeat of the excitement during the day at work.

What do you do with a loopy mommy?
What do you do with a loopy mommy?
What do you do with a loopy mommy, earl-eye in the morning?

Put her on the bus and watch her redden,
Put her on the bus and watch her redden,
Put her on the bus and watch her redden, earl-eye in the morning.

This sister writes beautifully; this essay is on the real vs. the imagined. She has written great chunks of my life, there.

Trainman and I had breakfast-for-dinner at Ol’ South last night. We tried to have burgers at Fred’s, first, but they are closed on Mondays. Then I went on to the bookstore and browsed five knitting magazines, none of which came home with me. And he went home to bed; he hadn’t slept in two days.

Got an explanation for why he walked on by, that day last week. All is well in Zion. [My LDS family and friends are snickering now, and I don’t have time to explain to the rest of you; forgive me, and remind me.]

I seem to be back on track with the Sunrise Circle Jacket. Taking the completed left sleeve and front with me to Knit Night tonight, for show and tell.

I printed several photos from the train trip in East Texas in March, onto the special canvas I bought at the art supply store a few weeks ago. Showed them to Trainman last night, and he nodded politely at one [which is the one I thought LadyZen would probably like] and went “Ohhh...” at the one of the boats and the pond, so that’s the one I sent home with him.

When I got home from dinner and browsing, I updated my PCStitch program and tried to convert that image for cross-stitch. I have in mind four versions of the picture: one on watercolor paper, one on canvas, one on glossy photo paper, and the fourth cross-stitched on the finest linen I can find, all matted and framed alike, and hung together in a cluster. For the fourth one, I may have to settle for printing one on vellum and one on transparency and slicing and weaving them. Or something.

Must go knit while the tub fills.

3 comments:

Jenni said...

You continue to amaze me with your creativity and talents.

Kristen said...

You cross stitch your photos?? I'd love to see your finished projects - I'm so impressed! Cross stitching (1 word or 2?) is something I love to look at and truly appreciate, but not something I do.

Sherry said...

I really enjoyed the Meridian article. I often try to convince my family, particularly my significant other, that we must deal with what IS rather than what we would prefer. I think that's basically what she is saying. See the reality and work with it instead of insisting on the fantasy. Good reading.....