About Me

My photo
Ten years into widowhood, after one year of incredible happiness and nearly 14 years of single blessedness. Retired, and mostly enjoying it. Still knitting. [Zen]tangling.again after a brief hiatus.

Saturday, July 04, 2009

Fun at the Yarn Shop

Yesterday was one amazing day. Here you have the ribbon cutting at Whirled Fibers, done inside because this is Texas, and the store faces west, and the door handle was already getting warm.



I won the first door prize! The grand prize [the Namaste bag, which is every bit as lovely as Monica said] will be given away at the final drawing today. I am not disappointed, however; not in the least.



Enough Buffalo Gold Lux laceweight to make a cowl. I squealed. I shrieked. I very nearly jumped up and down. I did the Sandra Bullock thing with my hands. There were also tiny hanks of Harrisville Tweeds, and an “I speak Knitty” button in the bag. The skein is cinched with a strap of buffalo hide, and one of the other knitters commented that it would make an excellent napkin ring.

Those are not my HiyaHiya needles in the back. I did come home with three sets: 4-aughts, 5-aughts, and 6-aughts, very reasonably priced and lovely to behold. [Middlest, honey, these will be perfect for doll clothes.]

I bought a ball of Tofootsies in a lilac ragg, to make birthday socks for Firstborn. Some of the sisters at Knit Night really love this yarn, and I am looking forward to working with it. She has seen the yarn and spent a fair bit of time smooshing it while we chatted. I figure that I’ll cast on while she is in surgery next week and work on it while I’m at her house. Just a pair of simple, basic socks because the yarn is busy. She has the smallest feet of all my girls, so I might get one sock done while I’m there. Maybe a sock and a half. We’ll see.

1BDH found the nail in Lorelai’s tire and plugged it. He topped off her refrigerant, which was low, and there is either an electrical or mechanical problem that he doesn’t have the equipment to find. The earliest I can take it in to the dealership is on the 31st, which is one of those lovely third-paychecks and gives me lots more take-home. But I think I will try to tough it out until my bonus next spring and stock up on bottled water to carry with me. I have other fish to fry with that extra money.

I may very well change my mind by the 31st.

On my way out of town, I followed this Jeep. I was able to decipher most of the banner across the windshield, upside down and inside-out, but not all of it. He pulled into a parking lot, and I followed him and waited until he was out of the car to take this:



I took some of the ribbon I bought on the way home Friday night and bundled up my 2008-2009 planner pages and put them in the new, labeled box. I cut the ribbon for the current years pages while I was at it; the rest of the roll is now on that dowel in my studio. I also made a new label for the misspelled magazine holder and created one for the new [purple] one which will hold my cooking magazines and go in the hall, with my cookbooks and culinary mysteries. The empty binder and slipcase are by the front door, for the next time I am in Arlington; I think I will take Leslye up on her kind offer to get them to their new home.

And then I curled up on the couch and got reacquainted with Runaway Bride. Not one scrap of knitting while it was on, though I got two hours of knitting in at the shop in the morning, and another half hour or so at Firstborn’s while 1BDH worked on the car. So I am feeling a little more balanced this morning.

We are 1 for 2 on the stealth church visits. She was pleasant, almost cordial as we chatted briefly on the porch. My companion used to be her visiting teacher, several years ago, and never was able to make it into the house. But the sister said that next weekend would be a better time to visit, as she had company. We are encouraged, and we will be back next weekend. Nobody answered at the other house, but we will try again after church tomorrow.

My goal for today is to not leave the house and to not get out of my jammies. I might nip out when it’s time for the fireworks. I haven’t gone down the block to watch this year, not even once, though I’ve certainly heard them. I just want to putter and knit and watch movies and eat cold cereal.

I’ll let you know how that goes.

And before I forget, a happy 4th of July to my readers here in the States.

3 comments:

nekokoi said...

speaking of dolly knitting (even if it was directed at Roro) i finished paying off your girl this weekend! huzzah! xD that means that when they start shipping at some point in the next 2 months, yours should be included! <3 yay! ..you can theoretically start your own dolly knitting now.

Aisling said...

It was great to see you yesterday, have a nice July 4th :)

AlisonH said...

Buffalo Gold! Ooh, have fun!