About Me

My photo
Eleven years into widowhood, after one year of incredible happiness and nearly 14 years of single blessedness. Retired, and mostly enjoying it. Still knitting. [Zen]tangling.again after a brief hiatus.

Saturday, May 22, 2010

Still here, still happy.

Just crazy-busy like the rest of you. It’s been quite a week, very long but very good.

Dinner last night with Brother Sushi, to celebrate the first paycheck as a legal secretary. We went to Rockfish, my nickel this month. Split the crab cakes (yum), had (of course) the jalapeno cream soup, I had a small side Caesar, he had the ahi tuna, and I had the macadamia-crusted mahi. I ate about a quarter of my fish, and the rest will be lunch or dinner today. And we talked for two hours, and it was great as always.

Good man, good friend.

Yesterday was maybe the first day I really felt like a legal secretary, because I got to function as backup to one of my friends for one of her lawyers. She had the day off. I got all the important bits of her mail out and all of mine. My attorney is old-school and sends a lot of stuff by certified mail. Hers is about the same vintage but has embraced technology a little less gingerly, so yesterday I was the queen of faxing. She is also the one who takes the mail down at the end of the day, and I'm her backup for that, as well. Most of the mail that went out, went out from my desk for either Lawyer A or Lawyer B.

So while I didn't hit the machines at the health club yesterday morning, I definitely had a brief spate of weight-bearing exercise. [Ergo, zero guilt for all the good stuff I ate last night. I had budgeted for it financially and caloric-ly (spellcheck didn’t like calorically; one of its better suggestions was allegorically, but there was nothing allegorical about that meal!), and I just sat there and enjoyed it.]

Before dinner I ran through Coldwater Creek and Avenue, and found nothing at either place that I liked. There is a skirt at CC’s online outlet which is calling my name, but that’s another story. I almost bought a screen-printed T-shirt at Avenue, but when I opened it out I noticed the long vertical irregular blank spaces that I have seen so much recently. The manufacturer may consider it a design feature; I think it looks sloppy and cheap, as if somebody couldn’t be bothered to prepare the fabric properly. I asked the sales clerk to pass my comment upline to the store’s buyers. I think it’s been about two years since I bought my five semi-dressy shirts at Avenue. The last time I checked their T-shirts, the fabric was not of the quality I was used to*, or the workmanship was shoddy. I don’t like inside-out serging or raw edges. (*The occasional split or dangling infinitive bothers me a whole lot less.)

I was in bed around 10:00 last night, dead tired but happy, and full as a tick. Woke up about 1:30 to drink a couple of glasses of water, then went back to bed and slept until 6:20. I am dressed to work out; the gym bag is packed; the laundry bag is ready to go; I have balanced my checkbook; and I’m ready to hit the pool, followed shortly thereafter by the laundromat and later by the Nail Dude. There is a dance tonight, and it is not halfway across Texas. If I go, I will not stay late, as we have ward conference tomorrow. That means the usual block of meetings, and most of the usual pre-church meetings, and more meetings after church, and visits to the homes of the less-active, and a wrap-up after that.

Let’s just hope that the fumes from the refinishing of the gym floor at church are finally, blessedly gone. Otherwise I will be leaving after sacrament meeting and virtually useless to my stake leadership for the remainder of the day.

No comments: