About Me

My photo
Ten years into widowhood, after one year of incredible happiness and nearly 14 years of single blessedness. Retired, and mostly enjoying it. Still knitting. [Zen]tangling.again after a brief hiatus.

Saturday, September 17, 2016

Today was interesting.

Woke up again about 5:00 and had a light breakfast. Still tired, so I went back to bed and slept until a little after 9:00. Stripped the bed and washed the sheets. Washed a load of lights. Cleaned my CPAP reservoir and hose, changed the filter and nosepiece (they call it a "pillow" but you wouldn't want to sleep on it), played on my phone a little, read a little, saw the message from the elders about today's drive-by fooding, which I had entirely forgotten even though I'd put it in my phone.

Felt inspired to cook instead of picking up fast food. One pint jar of lentils that I inherited from my mother-in-love (which got me to hearing the line from Funny Girl: When a woman's incidentals are no bigger than two lentils, all she ever gets is pity and a pat...). The leftover chicken broth in the fridge, and another can. A tablespoon or two of dried parsley. A tablespoon or two of dried onion. A tablespoon or two of taco seasoning. Are you seeing a pattern here?

All of that simmered until the broth had been absorbed and the lentils were in danger of burning. Another can of chicken broth stirred in, somewhat frantically. More simmering. Then  I nuked a packet of quinoa and brown rice and stirred that into a fragrant but somewhat watery pot. Not quite enough. Nuked another packet. Perfection. I grabbed two disposable mini loaf pans, filled them within half an inch of the top, plopped a thin slice of smoked Gouda in there, then wrapped each in a generous square of foil. I had a shopping bag just the right size to hold them, one atop the other. A layer of paper towels, then two small cups of mandarin oranges, a small container of ranch dressing, and the last of the baby carrots, topped with a sandwich bag holding four of Braum's chocolate chip cookies.

When I got home, Middlest was awake and had opened the package that Best Friend had sent, which I had set down well inside the front door as I left. I ladled out two small containers with cheese for my lunches next week, a larger container for Middlest, then divided what was left into two latte cups, sliced some cheese for each of us, and enjoyed a cheap, fast, easy dinner.

I bought and downloaded four new patterns in PukiFee size and whipped up two ankle length bloomers from a white fat quarter with tee-ninetsy stars on it (they're not even 1/8" in diameter). All that's left is to sew on snaps, but I am fading fast, and that will have to wait until tomorrow or whenever.

I am momentarily tired of knitting baby socks, so I plan to cast on a pair of knee socks for Hope before church tomorrow.

And I had a nice conversation with a squirrel that was outside my bedroom window. He held eye contact for the longest time. That was really cool.


No comments: