About Me

My photo
Ten years into widowhood, after one year of incredible happiness and nearly 14 years of single blessedness. Retired, and mostly enjoying it. Still knitting. [Zen]tangling.again after a brief hiatus.

Monday, January 28, 2008

Deep Cleansing Breath!

Behold LittleBit’s costume for West Side Story.



These are the darts at the neckline, neatly pressed. I finished the neckline [after trimming it about an inch lower so she wouldn’t choke] and the armscyes with commercially-made bias tape that I pre-curved with the aid of my steam iron.



This is the crinoline from one of her old formals, almost ready to be stitched into the skirt. I trimmed off the purple and left it skin-side out so it wouldn’t chafe, then zig-zagged it to the seam allowance of the skirt and topstitched all the way around the bottom of the bodice. Not as good a job as I would have done for something she would wear in real life, but plenty good enough for a stage costume!



I couldn’t find the zipper foot this morning, so it has a hand-picked zipper. I suspect that it is the only costume in the play with a hand-picked zipper. Not worth a photo, but here is some hem detail.



I’ve taken the morning off, not so much to finish this [though I’ll confess to ten seconds of momentary panic when I realized the zipper foot was AWOL] as to take care of other family business.

Deep cleansing breath. And another.

As Mr. Twisted says, life is good!

5 comments:

Leslye said...

A beautiful dress. But not nearly as beautiful as the one who will wear it. Love you both

Lynn said...

Couldn't have done it without you, ma'am!

Bea said...

So pretty orange dress. Love it!

Jenni said...

At least it doesn't need twenty seven yards of hand beading to be worn on stage like mine did to wear down the aisle!

Lynn said...

I'll say "amen" to that!