About Me

My photo
Eleven years into widowhood, after one year of incredible happiness and nearly 14 years of single blessedness. Retired, and mostly enjoying it. Still knitting. [Zen]tangling.again after a brief hiatus.

Sunday, September 07, 2014

Gratitude

When we encounter challenges and problems in our lives, it is often difficult for us to focus on our blessings. However, if we reach deep enough and look hard enough, we will be able to feel and recognize just how much we have been given. - Thomas S. Monson, The Divine Gift of Gratitude, General Conference, Oct 2010

From time to time I have enjoyed a somewhat ironic appreciation of the blessing which Malachi and other prophets have shared: that if we are obedient, Heaven cannot be restrained from pouring out blessings on our behalf, to the point that we run out of room to receive them. Most of the rooms in this house, and the garage, demonstrate this verity.

My challenge and blessing is to share the wealth. Not to make room for more stuff in my life, but to make room to navigate safely. I'm happiest when it's two steps forward and one step back, and not the other way around. (Dang. I just remembered to take my antibiotic, almost three hours late. The consequence of taking three different medicines at the moment.)

In the spirit of slowing down while making sure the needful things get done, Tuesday night I served the dead. Last night I made Willow's birthday present. Tonight I wrote the letters for my VT route and reported to my VT supervisor. I am about to put my stationery away and knit for a few minutes. I was up until nearly midnight last night. I'd like significantly more sleep tonight and a reasonable chance of getting to the gym in the morning.

Had a really great day at work today. The urgent stuff got done. So did the important stuff. And I was sensible at the quarterly birthday party and only had a small ice cream cup, bypassing the charming and obviously lethal cupcakes.

I need to do a lot of cooking this weekend, as well as a lot of painting. I've used up most of my leftovers, so it's time to start rebuilding that stash.

I love being able to breathe again.

No comments: