About Me

My photo
Four years into widowhood, after one year of incredible happiness and nearly 14 years of single blessedness. Have given up perfect manicures and pretty hands in order to resume playing the soprano recorder and to see if I can figure out how to play bluegrass banjo. Singing in the shower. Still really, *really* love to knit!

Thursday, December 20, 2007

First Day of the Month Meme

I found this on The Keyboard Biologist’s blog. “…this meme that involves posting the first sentence the first post on their blog from each month.” [quoting her]

January
“It's the first day in a shiny new year.”
A day on which I began to fall out of love with Brother Abacus. A month in which I learned that I’d been walking around on a broken leg for two months. January was mostly about dealing with pain of one sort or another.

February
“With apologies to Jimmy Webb.”
A day on which I learned how I am [and am not] like unto a phoenix.

March
“[How many lawyers does it take] to replace one intermittently humble receptionist?”
A day on which I teach the overeducated how not to drop a call at switchboard, so I can take an all-day class with the rest of the support staff.

April
“Thursday was one of those comic-opera days, the kind where you know that major blessings must be right around the corner because of the minor annoyances that drop one by one like a broken strand of pearls.”
A day on which I tripped on the curb while entering the YMCA to rehab my broken leg.

May
“Late last summer I decided that I wanted a simple sofa table to slip behind the couch.”
A day on which I recounted the nine-month saga of creating said table.

June
“One of the most amazing and delightful surprises about knitting, this time around, is the greater sense of community and support than when I was knitting 20 years ago.”
A day on which I rambled about how solitary an activity knitting used to be for me, compared to what it’s like now.

July
“Here's where we were at 7:33am.”
A progress report on the pale yellow silk and cashmere scarf.

August
“On Monday I came home from eight hours of Bitty-wrangling, happily weary and starving to death.”
The week of “vacation” that I spent helping out at Secondborn’s after BittyBubba’s arrival.

September
“[Perry Mason, Perry Como, and Perry Menopause] -- If you recognize the first two, you may be dallying with the third or have already kicked him to the curb.”
A listing of various indignities relating to the middle-aged body. And the move that ate September.

October
“[In a Cracker Jack Box] And the musical question is, “Where did you get your driver’s license?”
Much grumbling, much blocking of FO’s.

November
“So there I was, carefully matching and pinning the last seam on LittleBit’s hoodie, after having completed all but the Kitchenering of the garter-stitch border on the front edge.”
In which LittleBit’s hoodie approaches and finally reaches completion.

December
“I am feeling extraordinarily tender-hearted today.”
The holidays are upon us.

We took the finished pink fingerless gloves to LittleBit’s friend. I forgot to photograph them before we did. [sigh...] But she loved them.

No comments: