About Me

My photo
Eleven years into widowhood, after one year of incredible happiness and nearly 14 years of single blessedness. Retired, and mostly enjoying it. Still knitting. [Zen]tangling.again after a brief hiatus.

Wednesday, July 10, 2019

Random thoughts during scripture study.

(This is based upon a draft that I began in November 2017.)

I had been listening to Mosiah 28, where the repentant sons of King Mosiah ask their father for permission to go preach to their enemies, the Lamanites. Since the likelihood of their getting killed far exceeded the likelihood of successful missionary efforts, the king was understandably concerned, and he took those concerns to the Lord, who reassured him.

Random thought the first: I wonder what their mother had to say on this subject. Was she still on this side of the veil? Was her faith as great as her sons' faith, or did she have a Sariah moment in which she said are you all nuts? (or the Nephite equivalent thereof)?

Random thought the second: with these four sons out of the picture, none of Mosiah's other sons wanted to inherit the kingdom. Was this because they had other interests, or because they wanted nothing to do with either a mortal kingdom or the kingdom of God?

Random thought the third: why did Mosiah confer the records which his sons did not want upon Alma the Younger, rather than Alma the Elder? Was the senior Alma already close to death? (Both he and Mosiah are dead by the end of chapter 29.)



I loved this song, back in the 70's. Thankfully, now I know about the Holy Ghost, and I know that all of my questions will be answered someday.

~~~

I have to say that my study has vastly improved since "Come, Follow Me" began at the first of this year.  As much as I'm enjoying the New Testament, I am really looking forward to studying the Book of Mormon next year.

OK. I've caught up my bookkeeping, and I've eaten a delicious dinner of questionable nutritional value, so it must be time to read or to knit. Maybe a little of both.

I saw a doll today that is really tempting. I have bought no dolls for two years. This is an MSD boy with a lively and mischievous face. And they offer extended layaway.


No comments: