About Me

My photo
Four years into widowhood, after one year of incredible happiness and nearly 14 years of single blessedness. Have given up perfect manicures and pretty hands in order to resume playing the soprano recorder and to see if I can figure out how to play bluegrass banjo. Singing in the shower. Still really, *really* love to knit!

Friday, October 10, 2008

I Should Have Grabbed More Yarn

When I tore out of the house yesterday morning, I left with my knitting attached to a ball of yarn about the size of a clementine. I figured that it would be just enough to get me to work, through my lunch hour and breaks, and home again. So I didn’t stop to wind another ball, because I didn’t want to miss the train and have to drive in.

I didn’t count on somebody getting his/her van stuck on the tracks, where it lost an argument with a westbound train. We were an hour late getting into the station in Dallas. Plenty of time for me to knit. I was pleased to catch snippets of all the civil conversations going on around me. There were three of us from my office stuck on the train, in different cars.

I will give you a detailed review of the restaurant where I dined last night, later this weekend. It was amazing, delicious, and of course the company was excellent. Can’t wait to share my impressions with Trainman on the ride home tonight. [He said I would like it.]

Can’t wait to see Willow at dinner tomorrow night. She is flying in to spend the weekend and celebrate her birthday [last Saturday] with the in-laws, outlaws, steps and exes. My task for tonight is to sort through all the boxes in the closet in my studio and see if I can find one of those three pairs of Serpentine mitts I knitted earlier this year. [I’m still a little miffed that she did not acknowledge my gift to her last year, even after I emailed to ask if she had gotten it. Logic says to just smile and give her a card and a hug; grandma genes say to give her at least a little something, even if it was not made specifically for her while thinking about what a neat human being she is, as I did for her sister. Who thanked me and hugged me.]

I’ll let you know which part of me wins out. Jeans, where are my jeans, and a pair of socks without too much nylon in them? I need to leave in less than ten minutes!

1 comment:

Jenni said...

The one child I have had more years with will hopefully end up with more manners. I know it doesn't make it ok, but she is that way with everyone, including Grandma S.
I am so pumped to see her this weekend, even if she is rather ungrateful.