About Me

My photo
Ten years into widowhood, after one year of incredible happiness and nearly 14 years of single blessedness. Retired, and mostly enjoying it. Still knitting. [Zen]tangling.again after a brief hiatus.

Saturday, October 04, 2008

Yarn Coveting and Trainman-spotting

Clara’s yarn review. Have any of you worked with this yet? It’s not in my budget this winter, but maybe next year. When I clicked on that swatch to embiggen it, I nearly drooled all over my pig-in-blanket. Not sure if it was the fabric or the color. I wonder if purple will be my next new color jag?

So: the Trainman didn’t disappoint. I saw him enter our usual train car and flop down in a far corner, with the look of someone who sorely needed solitude and privacy. So I didn’t wave at him. And I didn’t pout. I just sat in my seat with my cane and my knitting and sent happy, restful thoughts his way. He slept. And between the penultimate station and our own, he woke up and saw me as I gathered my things. And smiled. So I plunked down across the aisle from him.

He asked what I had done to myself. I explained about the bus on Thursday morning and told him I was already feeling much better. When the train ground to a halt and we both stood up, he reached for my bag so I could navigate the steps. And I let him.

“Promise you won’t think any less of me because I’m carrying a purse.”

“You won’t have to turn in your man card.”

“I’ll try not to swish.”

“Metro, maybe. Swishy, no.” [He dresses well, and with some imagination in his color choices.]

“Why, thank you!” And he walked me to the elevator and made sure I was OK for the ramp up to the parking level.

He’s giving me his recipe for chicken tortilla soup. I’m giving him mine for Greek egg and lemon soup.

Je suis content.

Major progress on the stealth project yesterday, until I could not keep my eyes open One. Moment. Longer. I woke about 1:45 this morning, after about four hours of sleep, and knitted until I had used up the first ball of yarn. Both ends of the next ball are nowhere near the same color as the last 18 inches of the first one, so I will just nonchalantly drop the end and start afresh. I think I have two or three more inches before I will run out of yarn on the second colorway. And I am about two-thirds done with the project.

Heading off to post four pictures to the other draft, and then I am going back to bed for awhile. I was supposed to go see the FlyLady today, but I just want to stay home and listen to General Conference on my computer, via streaming whatzit from BYU-TV. Can’t wait to hear the MoTab on these speakers!

I did call Fourthborn and Fiancé last night to see if my services were needed today. They have the moving aspect all covered. They are requesting lemon bars, instead.

I think I can stop knitting long enough to manage that. I have plenty of butter, flour, sugar, and organic lemon juice. And maybe I will make another batch to share with Brother Sushi and another foodieI know...

1 comment:

Rory said...

I still want to see this Trainman of yours. We should plan some shenanigans. How much does it cost to ride the train?