About Me

My photo
Ten years into widowhood, after one year of incredible happiness and nearly 14 years of single blessedness. Retired, and mostly enjoying it. Still knitting. [Zen]tangling.again after a brief hiatus.

Thursday, October 09, 2008

Ramblings

Another comforting article in Meridian.

So I woke up on the wrong side of the bed yesterday morning. More physically than attitudinally. Stiff neck, general achiness, definitely chilled all over, but reasonably well-rested thank goodness. The kind of day where you can feel winter coming and you start thinking about piles of quilts and trying not to wish you had somebody to put your cold feet on.

I need to find a RaceTrac close to home. I like their hot chocolate better than 7-11’s or Starbucks’. I tumped my last two packets of hot chocolate into a tall cup once I got to work, and that helped a little. I also wore my purple cashmere smoke ring scarf. I was hoping to get a neckrub from one of my girlfriends at work; she’s a golfer and has very strong hands, but she was out sick.

I wonder where my bag of deer corn is? I know that I packed it. It is perfect to nuke and snuggle up with when I have stiff, sore muscles.

Thirty-plus years ago, the Wall Street Journal had a story that cracked me up. Still does. Their reporter said that someone in the College of Cardinals had told the following joke to the then-Pope: Supposedly His Holiness is sitting in a meeting with his cardinals, when a messenger comes in to say that he has good news and bad news. The good news is that the Lord is on the phone. The bad news is that he’s calling from Salt Lake City. [Allegedly, the Pope was highly amused.]

I wonder what his successor thinks about the fact that the LDS Church has announced that we will be building a temple in the Eternal City. I wonder if, in a few years, the answer to the question, “Is the Pope Catholic?” might be, “most of them, yes, but this one was just baptized into the LDS Church, and Gladys Knight and the Saints Unified Voices sang at the baptismal service.”

Domineering wife? I was never entirely crazy about that show. And I didn’t watch it all that often. I would not have said that his wife was domineering. [Peg Bundy? Now *that* is a different story. Not that I ever watched more than 15 minutes of that entire series.] I would have said she was put-upon and patient in the extreme. I would have said that Tim Allen’s character was bumbling, rude [all those Al-is-fat jokes?] and obnoxious. But Al [Borland, not Bundy] could have parked his steel-toed boots under my kitchen table anytime.

Much happy knitting on Secondborn’s scarf yesterday. More coming up today, plus Brother Sushi and I are having our monthly dinner one night early at a Texas/Brazilian restaurant. Which is great, because I am feeling distinctly carnivorous today :)

3 comments:

Jenni said...

Sometimes I have no idea how your mind gets to those places that it wanders off to.

Lynn said...

You're not the only one. It just wanders, and I try to keep up.

Kristen said...

You think knitting will help MY mind? I had to start four times on a sock for the grandbaby on the flight to NY. Once I got there I finished the sock and even with him there, it was too small for his foot. I started over again, twice -- and couldn't count right. I've given up for now. I've made so many socks I can't count them all, but not this time.