About Me

My photo
Eleven years into widowhood, after one year of incredible happiness and nearly 14 years of single blessedness. Retired, and mostly enjoying it. Still knitting. [Zen]tangling.again after a brief hiatus.

Thursday, July 29, 2010

Why I was eating trees and cheese at 6:30a.m.

I opened the freezer to bring out a loaf of bread. The package with the individual servings of trees and cheese fell out onto the floor (it was looking a little depressed). Three of the four containers were undamaged. The fourth flipped its lid, not so much as you’d notice, and disgorged a tablespoon of frozen broccoli onto my kitchen floor. That part went into the compost pile when I walked outside to put my gym bag in the trunk and haul the trash bin and recycling bin back to the side of the house. The rest of it went into the microwave.

Because, apparently, I had a craving for trees and cheese that was unsuspected when I woke up yesterday.

It’s too bad that you aren’t supposed to even refrigerate Nutella; otherwise I would prime the pump, or salt the mine, or some other metaphor, and stand by the fridge waiting for it to leap out.

No such luck.

But the good thing about my broccoli is, when a tablespoon of it disappears itself, the proportion of cheese to trees improves considerably.

I tried the fast setting on my bobbin for effort #2, as opposed to the half-fast setting I used before. It’s much easier to draft at this speed, and the strand appears to be more uniform. Not to mention it goes a whole lot faster. I am wondering if I can get fingering weight when I ply this.

I spent some time rearranging my photo albums on Facebook last night. It kept me from posting Three Days to German Chocolate Cheesecake as my status.

Food note: the Healthy Request Maryland-Style Crab Soup is tasty. It doesn’t taste particularly crabbish, but it’s pleasantly spicy, and there are verifiable chunks of potato in it, always a plus as far as I am concerned.

Today is my Friday. Tomorrow I get to play hurry up and wait in the jury pool. I have borrowed Secondborn’s copy of Breaking Dawn as an alternative to knitting. I don’t think the bailiff would like my 5-aught knitting needles. And I’m pretty sure they wouldn’t let me bring my spinning wheel. So, vampire-flavored doorstop, it is.

I am hoping that they will keep me in the jury pool long enough that it is worth nobody’s while for me to drive in to work for what’s left of the day.

1 comment:

Jenni said...

How funny, I was just summoned. I sent back the form marking my educational status as my exemption. Maybe next time.