About Me

My photo
Eleven years into widowhood, after one year of incredible happiness and nearly 14 years of single blessedness. Retired, and mostly enjoying it. Still knitting. [Zen]tangling.again after a brief hiatus.

Tuesday, January 26, 2021

There is no there there.

Challenge in my non-Austen reading group: Book that starred an Oscar winner in the movie: Howards End, by E.M. Forster. (Emma Thompson) Three stars at most. I know that this is considered a modern classic, and maybe it is in England, but I found it difficult to summon enthusiasm for any of the characters, or their inner thoughts, or the plot as a whole. It's as Gertrude Stein said, "There is no there there." I wonder if the movie is any more interesting? Emma Thompson's pretty amazing.

I'm now into the second season of Grantchester and am going to fit in one more episode before calling it a night.

Amazon package arrived for me today. Feeling it through the plastic envelope, I couldn't imagine what it might be. Too small for a book, and not quite the right shape. Ta-Daa! A six-pack of 08 black Micron pens for coloring in larger bits when I'm tangling.

I had another good day at work, very productive, and I'm getting closer to being approximately caught up. This will be made simpler by the fact that SemperFi is retiring at the end of May, and he's been told that we're not getting any new cases, just polishing off the existing ones. I will miss working with him. It's been easier, working from home. Because of the pandemic, the courts keep rescheduling our trials, so there have been no trial notebooks to prepare (huzzah!), and none of the usual pre-trial intensity on his part and concurrent anxiety on mine. Attorneys, even the best and kindest ones, get intense leading up to a trial.

I could probably think of more things to say, but I would rather go feast my eyes upon the good vicar. Night, y'all.

No comments: