About Me

My photo
Eleven years into widowhood, after one year of incredible happiness and nearly 14 years of single blessedness. Retired, and mostly enjoying it. Still knitting. [Zen]tangling.again after a brief hiatus.

Saturday, January 30, 2021

Surely.

That word jumped out at me in my Book of Mormon study last year. Today I became curious about how many times it's found in the scriptures: 271 in the Old Testament; 7 in the New Testament; 49 in the Book of Mormon (I wonder how many of those are in the Isaiah chapters); 7 in the Doctrine and Covenants; 10 in the Pearl of Great Price; and 88 in various study helps.

Surely is an adverb, "1. used to emphasize the speaker's firm belief that what they are saying is tru and often their surprise that there is any doubt of this. 2. with assurance or confidence." If the scriptures, or the Spirit, or authorized servants of the Lord, say that behavior A will surely produce consequence B, then that is what will happen, whether it the happy result of obedience or the grievous result of disobedience. You can take it to the bank.

That's all I've got for you tonight. I'm not feeling sufficiently inspired or diligent to read all of those citations. I need to pick up more milk, and I want dinner and a bit of ice cream.

No comments: