About Me

My photo
Five years into widowhood, after one year of incredible happiness and nearly 14 years of single blessedness. Have given up perfect manicures and pretty hands in order to resume playing the soprano recorder and to see if I can figure out how to play bluegrass banjo. Singing in the shower. Still really, *really* love to knit!

Saturday, April 21, 2007

Birthday Reprise + Knitting Content

Thanks for the good wishes! Both from those who posted and those who lurk and respond elsewhere. It was a great day. As for not-celebrating at Knit Night, I *did*. I spent it with y'all! And I was able to stay awake past 9:00pm! Does it get any better than that?

I'm not crazy-fond of cake, and a dear friend at church left an individual serving of something wonderful and decadent from the Tom Thumb deli on my doorstep the night before. I ate half of it that night, and the rest for breakfast the next day. Here's a photo, mid-munch.

This is the pink Royal Winton that I lucked onto when we were living in the Texas Hill Country. I bought 25 pieces for $50. I'm keeping an eye on it on eBay and through a pattern-tracking service. So far, I can't afford the going rate. If you have an auntie who has this lovely pink mottled stuff and is tired of it, or if you see it at a garage sale or yard sale, I'm willing to pay $1 or $2 per item and not $375 for a toast rack. This is creatively baked and painted *dirt*, people! And it breaks! I love beautiful things, and I refuse to pay so much for them that I will weep if they get broken.

[As you can imagine, I had enormous difficulty forking over $22 for my first skein of CTH! Twenty years ago, I had a food budget of $125 to feed a family of seven for a month, and I still relate many of my purchases to how many meals they would have bought in the Bad Old Days.]

The fronts of LittleBit's Celtic Icon hoodie are done, after much fiddling, tinking, and outright frogging. I'm still having too much fun with this to consider joining the Slogalong, though I've been working on this project since mid-February. My last conscious act before crashing for the night was to slip the sleeves ~ I ran out of yarn, remember? ~ off the size 0's that have held them for the past month or so and back onto my working needles.

I slept in until 5:00 or so this morning and grabbed my needles as soon as I could focus. Just finished blending the two yarns on the first sleeve, alternating two rows of new, two rows of old, etc., for twelve rows, and I have about 18" of the old yarn dangling on the selvedge. I do most of my knitting in bed, and I was getting a bad case of tuchas interruptus, so I thought I'd check my inbox to see if one of my local friends had responded to my offer of a girls' night out at the dollar flick. It's 7:42am. How can she still be asleep?

I'm ready for some breakfast, and more knitting. Time to whip that second sleeve into shape!

Here's a link that one of my Sisters of the Wool provided our group: shawls, arranged by approximate amount of yarn required. Yeah. I'm feeling that particular tug. Scary.


No comments: