About Me

My photo
Eleven years into widowhood, after one year of incredible happiness and nearly 14 years of single blessedness. Retired, and mostly enjoying it. Still knitting. [Zen]tangling.again after a brief hiatus.

Sunday, April 15, 2007

Couching my words

The couch I'd love to have:



The couch I have:



The temporary or possibly permanent solution:



I'm thinking of this as a Speedo for my couch. The couch is a hand-me-down from my best friend and her hubby, who loves to shop. He was ready for a new couch, as were we, so about three years ago he pulled up in his pickup truck with some of the young men from church, et voilĂ ! There is nothing objectively wrong with this couch. It’s well-made and has great lines [not too fussy and traditional, not too sterile and modern] and is comfortable. It’s just, well, blue.

I was puzzled for awhile that I have this urge to nest each spring. I realized last year, about half-past summer, that it's due in part to Sarah Ban Breathnach's Simple Abundance books. They are much about tidying the nest, making home a pleasant place to be, etc...

Which explains why three years ago I bought the new plates on closeout at Target and made that delightful budget-busting trip to Garden Ridge with Brother Sushi, where I got my bowls shaped like poppies and the little heart-shaped dessert bowls, and later the goblets and napkins at Pier One and the placemats [with a coupon, please note] at Bed Bath and Beyond.

Two years ago, I got the draperies on closeout at JCPenney's online outlet [one of their Wednesday Specials; I think I got them for $10 a pair???] and the tablecloth for the dining room and the Wall Words for the dining room wall. And last year I reorganized the kitchen drawers and the linen closet.

This year looks like it will be the slipcover for the couch, and possibly getting the fainting couch recovered at a little place in BigD that one of my attorneys uses because the upholsterers are both skilled and affordable. And I have my eye on a couple of armchairs at Pier One that please my eye nearly as much as the [discontinued] Malabar chairs at Pottery Barn and please my pocketbook far more. Witness:

I found a different chair online, and when I went to the store to sit in it, it was nice but not-me. Then I stood up, turned around, and saw this chair. Definitely love at first sit!
I have bought very little furniture in my life. Most of my dining room chairs are from a flea market in Alvarado, from when we were living with friends in 1993. I painted them while we were living in that first bare apartment after we came back up here from financial ruin in the Texas Hill Country. And I taught myself how to re-rush chair seats. They could stand to be repainted, but the seats are holding up nicely after fourteen years. [Better than mine.] The rest of my dining room chairs are wooden folding chairs bought for $15 or so at World Market. My coffee table is from that same flea market, also repainted. Several years ago I sprung for a glass top for it. My end table is a hand-me-down from when I took over Firstborn’s apartment after Secondborn’s wedding. [The sectional sofa that went with it is, mercifully, history. It was mostly blue.] I have an excellent bed that I accepted from one of the girls in lieu of repayment on a debt.
And here I am doing a creditable impression of a grownup, researching and pondering the acquisition of grownup furniture. Not expensive, arm-and-a-leg-and-firstborn-male-child furniture, but real furniture nonetheless.
Still knitting away on the fronts to LittleBit's hoodie. Two months on this sweater and still going. If I weren't enjoying it so much, I'd be honor-bound to join MDKnitting's slogalong. I will probably have a picture for you of the "recumbent biking" project sometime next week, at which point I will need to figure out another bikeworthy project.

No comments: