About Me

My photo
Five years into widowhood, after one year of incredible happiness and nearly 14 years of single blessedness. Have given up perfect manicures and pretty hands in order to resume playing the soprano recorder and to see if I can figure out how to play bluegrass banjo. Singing in the shower. Still really, *really* love to knit!

Thursday, April 05, 2007

Les tricoteuses et le tourbillon

Knit Night. One of the high-points of my week, when I gather with my Sisters of the Wool. We admire one another’s work and teach our favorite techniques. We laugh and cry together. We pat the new yarn acquisitions and pass the new books around. We share our tools. We collaborate on yarn orders to avoid shipping charges.

I can’t imagine a greater bunch of ladies with whom to be stuck in the loo at *bucks during a tornado warning.

Et voilĂ !

Six women. Six cell phones. Much text messaging and beeping and electronic yodeling. One of the knitters is friends with a storm watcher. She called him and asked, “OK, what’s really happening out there?” Another called her husband, who was watching the weather radar, and relayed what he was picking up.

I texted LittleBit, at home with tonsillitis, and told her to take cover. She promised that she would.

I texted Firstborn as follows:
ME) 8:48pm Am in the loo at [*]bucks with my sisters of the wool. [LittleBit] is under cover at home.
FB) 8:53pm What???
ME) 8:54pm Tornado. Not a nervous breakdown.
FB) 8:55pm Really? A warning or an actual tornado?

At which point I got tired of typing and called her and talked for maybe 20 seconds before the signal faded. Long enough to learn that the storm was headed their way, that Lark was in the loo chez lui with her cell phone but that the grownups were just staying put where they were.

And here you see a KnitPicks circ peacefully coexisting with an Addi Lace circ.

We got the “all clear” from S’s hubby in about 20 minutes and trooped out to our chairs. The staff at *bucks was still huddled in the back of the shop, so it took a couple more minutes for them to come out and unlock the big front door. *I* was ready to go home. Standing for 20 minutes wouldn’t ordinarily be much of an issue, but I’m still babying myself after breaking my leg last fall.

The Fort Worth paper says nothing touched down. http://www.star-telegram.com/226/story/57585.html The rumors say otherwise.

When I got home, Fourthborn was visiting and had brought a movie to cheer up “the moose”, as she calls her baby sister. I was ready to sleep, and LittleBit needed to be back to school at dark-thirty the next morning to catch the bus for a choir competition. I gently but firmly invoked the “I love you, GO HOME!” mantra, and the two of us had family prayers and went to bed.

And some folks think the life of a single mother is dull and humdrum, LOL.


Sarah said...

A knitting meet-up in the bathroom - how ground-breaking! Just goes to show there's nowhere you can't knit, right? I've never lived anywhere prone to that kind of dramatic weather, but I think a tornado rampaging through town would scare the bejeebers out of me, especially if I had kiddos alone elsewhere. Hats off to you intrepid ladies!

bookgrump said...

I'm almost sorry that I missed it! *Almost* I can't imagine how the whole group would have fit in the loo if everyone had shown up! Glad you all were safe!