About Me

My photo
Ten years into widowhood, after one year of incredible happiness and nearly 14 years of single blessedness. Retired, and mostly enjoying it. Still knitting. [Zen]tangling.again after a brief hiatus.

Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Moving, Day One: I have a kitchen window!

I haven’t had a kitchen window in 14 years. The one in our house in the Texas Hill Country opened into the converted garage that was our master bedroom, and I made a quilted wall hanging to cover it, to muffle kitchen sounds so LittleBit could nap in the afternoons. There were two windows in the corner that gave us a bit of the outside world.

Before that, the window over the kitchen sink in our little cottage in Irving opened into the converted sleeping porch where Firstborn and Secondborn slept, and there was another on the north wall that framed the liquid amber tree.

I give you a tour, á là Yarn Harlot. What? You didn’t think I could find my sock-in-progress, after not touching it for weeks? Eet ees to laugh! This is looking down the hall toward my room.



This is the view from my new kitchen window.



Somebody needs to wash that window. And this is the window with its new curtains, bought on close-out. Yes, they need pressing, but the iron is at the old place, and the curtains are not. The fabric matches the back of a small needlepoint pillow that I stitched up a few years ago. It was one of those “Hey, I know you!” moments followed rapidly by “And you’re on sale for *how* little?”



I forgot to take a picture of our new carpet. Or the living room. Or the patio door(s); there is a large one that opens from the living room, and a smaller one that opens from the kitchen. Not much to see yet in LittleBit’s room. She has hung up a few of her myriad T-shirts.



And here is her senior jersey.



Thought I had included a shot of the guest bathroom. LittleBit has a nice medicine cabinet. Here is the master bath. Note that I do not have a nice medicine cabinet. Or even a not-nice one.



No photos that I want to share, just yet, of what will become my boudoir. I need to decide if I want to use the fancy drapes that grace my current dining room window and living room window at my new windows, or if I want to use them as the beginning of my “tent”. What I have now are: two windows, very vanilla; one new package of skirt hangers; and my new jacket that I wore to work today. That and a bag of clean laundry are all that I have brought over for my room, so far.



Fun and games at Firstborn’s on Sunday night. Lark got a little exuberant while taking her stuff out of the dryer, and one of her soccer shirts pirouetted over the back of it. This is the rescue attempt. They were laughing so hard that it took Lark twice as long to retrieve it.

2 comments:

nekokoi said...

i have a mirrored medicine cabinet i'd used in the old apartment, but assuredly do not need in this one. would you like it? you'd just need to get screws and little plastic wall anchors for it. i think i threw away the old ones in a fit of *do not want!!* type unpacking and cleaning..

Anonymous said...

It looks like you have been very busy lately. I hope the new place is much better.

Thank you for your comment on the clapotis.

-punkin