About Me

My photo
Ten years into widowhood, after one year of incredible happiness and nearly 14 years of single blessedness. Retired, and mostly enjoying it. Still knitting. [Zen]tangling.again after a brief hiatus.

Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Pink Rules, Turquoise Drools!

Cast on while waiting for the train to start, yesterday morning. This is how far I’d gotten when I walked into the break room. It’s blurry; just look at the length and not the stitches.



And here is where I was at the end of lunch.



And when I went to bed, after Knit Night.



Yay! for knitting that cooperates. Yay! for Mim and her knits. [This one is Serpentine, and it’s free.] Yay! for one of my favorite yarns. [Leftover from Mal’s Mitts, which I made for LittleBit’s friend at Christmas. Dream in Color Smooshy in “Cool Fire”. We loves this yarn.] Yay! for [relatively] fat needles. [Addi Lace 2.5 = US size 1.5].

Happy fingers! Lickety-split knitting! What’s not to like?

Here is a link to my friend Sooz’s column on divorce and integrity. She comments that while we do a good job in the church of teaching people how to court and be married without compromising eternal principles, we rarely discuss how to apply those principles to the coming-apart of a marriage. I remember carpooling, about ten years ago, to one of the dances with a brother in my ward. We stopped to tank his car, and when he got back in I asked how long he’d been divorced. He replied that it should be final in a couple of weeks.

I was considerably less assertive in those days. Today I would tell him politely but firmly, “Please take me back to my car. I’m not riding to the dance with a married man.” Back then I was still reeling from my own divorce, still too much into pleasing others, and so I just prayed very loudly inside my head “Oh please do not let us get into an accident tonight. I didn’t know!”

I had a moment at work yesterday where I got to flex my assertiveness muscles. It was right in the middle of my busiest time of the morning, and I came back from my break to find two of the legal secretaries chatting with the woman who relieves me. She left, and they stayed, grousing about how overwhelmed they were and how much they didn’t want to go back to their desks and work.

After about two minutes of this, while I sorted the incoming mail preparatory to opening it and pulling all the staples, I interrupted them and said, “Of the three of us here at my desk, one of us wants to do her job. Would you mind taking this elsewhere?” They were a little startled, but they left.

Yes, there are aspects of my job that I don’t like. Yes, I have days when I would rather be anywhere else than my desk. But if you really, truly hate your job and think that you’re picked on [when you’re not], why stay? Why not go to work somewhere else? And if not, then go grouse in another part of the office, where it doesn’t interfere with me doing what they pay me to do.

I read this review and will probably buy the book. I think I have a pretty clear idea of whom and Whose I am and where I stand in relation to where I want to be or where He needs me to be. I do think these questions might help me to refine my discipleship.

This was good, too. Yes, I did a bit of reading while I ran the scanner; I’m getting that down to an art.

Dashing down the hall to get ready to head for the train. Thankfully, there’s still time to make the one that I want.

2 comments:

Bonnie said...

I'll add another round of "yays" to yours, since you are so exited this morning. Yay for your knitting and yay for being assertive.

blah said...

Dear Lynn, I agree on your comment about the church and not much teaching on what happens when things do come unravelled in a marriage