About Me

My photo
Ten years into widowhood, after one year of incredible happiness and nearly 14 years of single blessedness. Retired, and mostly enjoying it. Still knitting. [Zen]tangling.again after a brief hiatus.

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

The secret to good tempura?

Ice water in the batter (just like a good piecrust), and resting the bowl of batter in a larger ice-filled bowl. Best onion rings I have ever eaten. I was extremely sorry that I had left the camera here at home, because they looked as light as meringues!

The potatoes were good too: crispy on the outside, tender on the inside, impeccably seasoned. And the fish! Better than at Zeke’s.

His coleslaw is as good as my mother’s. [Which we all know is the gold standard, if we had mothers who were good cooks. I’m not sure what standard my kids use, because when they were little it was all about getting them filled as quickly and as cheaply as possible. It is only now that the nest is empty, that I have the time, the funds, and sometimes the inclination to cook well.]

I picked up a petite chocolate mousse cake and an individual pear tart at Central on my way over. We divvied them up for dessert. He had sparkling pear juice for us to drink, a happy coincidence.

And he sent me home with a slice of cheesecake for my breakfast today.

I am stitching up Faith’s sweater. I might have one more row to work at the top of the left back, but now I am stitching most of the side seam, and then I will stitch up most of the raglan seam and adjust my rows if necessary. Which would leave the row of single crochet up the back edge, and the stitching-on of snaps, neither of which is getting done until I accomplish measurable progress on today’s honey-do list.

Tonight is the assigned temple session for the singles, so I’ll get to see him again.

1 comment:

Jenni said...

Glad dinner went well and hope the company and conversation was even better than the food!