About Me

My photo
Eleven years into widowhood, after one year of incredible happiness and nearly 14 years of single blessedness. Retired, and mostly enjoying it. Still knitting. [Zen]tangling.again after a brief hiatus.

Saturday, September 02, 2017

A fruitful day.

When I went to bed last night, the three quilt blocks that needed to be done this morning, were about 90% finished. I did my impression of a sensible adult and went to bed so as not to mess them up. Took me a little over an hour to finish them this morning, and I'm glad that I trusted my instincts.

⸎⸎⸎

Current techniques for making flying geese blocks is to cut squares the depth of the block, draw a line lightly along the diagonal of the square (on the wrong side) and stitch along that line. Then you trim off the excess fabric at the corner. I suppose most folks throw those pieces away. They're rarely large enough to be useful. I've been saving mine from this year's series quilt in a spare clear plastic shoebox, and after we got home from the quilt shop today I pulled them out of the box and started chain-piecing them with approximately 1/8" seams. Forty of them. I would give you a visual (I did to one of my groups on Facebook), but my phone has gone to bed without me. The blocks are roughly the size of a half dollar.

I may leave them as-is, after tidying the squares, or I may slice them on the diagonal and sew those halves together to make squares consisting of alternating quarter-square triangles. (They would form an hourglass or X shape in aqua and plum, and probably be about the size of a quarter.) At any rate, the finished blocks will go into another container until I have enough to make a doll quilt. Or quilts.

⸎⸎⸎

In knitting news, I finished knitting the side panel of the second doll vest and began picking up stitches for the I-cord border yesterday. I completed that task earlier today but have not yet summoned up the nerve to cast on and start grinding away at it.

⸎⸎⸎

Back to quilting news. The only one of us who really liked the options for the next block of the month quilt was Middlest, who was torn between colorway A and colorway B. So Firstborn and Fourthborn will sew colorway A. Middlest and I will sew colorway B. And this time next year Middlest will have 48 blocks, enough to make two quilts.

OK, I'm done. Night, y'all.

No comments: