About Me

My photo
Eleven years into widowhood, after one year of incredible happiness and nearly 14 years of single blessedness. Retired, and mostly enjoying it. Still knitting. [Zen]tangling.again after a brief hiatus.

Monday, February 01, 2021

Harrumph. Also, poohbah!

 

Thanks to the comments of several of my fellow Janeites in the reading group, I've ordered my first annotated copy. (Persuasion.) In theory, it will arrive day after tomorrow. I'm hoping it will reduce the amount of toggling between chapter and Google. Curiosity about "quarterly sessions" in Chapter Three led me to "assizes" and then to wondering how they might be related to, or different from, an American grand jury. (Did you know that the United States and Liberia are the only two countries who still use the grand jury system? I did not, until tonight.)
 
In other Austen-related news, I rented the forgettable "Modern Persuasion." Best thing about it was that the heroine's cat is named Wentworth. (Yes, I am praising with faint damns.) Although Bebe Neuwirth did a fine job as the modern equivalent of Lady Russell. She was both forthright and apologetic; so, not consistent with the character as written but far more palatable to my modern sensibilities.
 
There has been no knitting today. Yesterday I frogged the *maybe it was going to be a mitten*.
I'm not bored. But the Inspiration Fairy has decanted for Club Med. I am sitting here with an ice tea spoon in my mouth and an open jar of Nutella.

I enjoyed watching Dr. Thorne so much that I put several collections of Trollope's works on my shopping list. I've just downloaded The Barchester Chronicles to my Kindle after deleting the YA novel with the barn language. If y'all will excuse me, I'm going to retreat a couple of centuries and adjust my attitude.

No comments: