About Me

My photo
Eleven years into widowhood, after one year of incredible happiness and nearly 14 years of single blessedness. Retired, and mostly enjoying it. Still knitting. [Zen]tangling.again after a brief hiatus.

Friday, February 23, 2007

0000 Oh my goodness!

Knitting for my Barbies would have been ever so much easier if I'd had 0000's to work with. I remember a pattern for really cool matching sweaters for Barbie and Ken, printed in the McCall's Needlework magazine when I was ten or so, which my mother knitted up for me to perfect gauge.

I tried to make another pair of sweaters (I'd been knitting for a couple of years by then) using the specified size 1's and fingering yarn, but the sweaters were always too long. And at ten, I really didn't understand why until Mom explained it to me. My refusal to wind the yarn around my fingers ~ it felt as if they were strangling ~ made my gauge too loose. And in the little Western town where we lived, anything smaller than a 1 was unheard of.

I am currently working on a project that requires 0000's. And, crazy woman that I am, I am liking it.

Please send chocolate until this feeling passes. [Has anybody else tried the Mayan Chocolate from Haagen Dazs? Oh man! Almost as good as dancing, and way better than that cake that's called Better than You-Know-What.]

We are almost to the 2000 point on this blog. That in itself merits a chocolate celebration!

No comments: