About Me

My photo
Ten years into widowhood, after one year of incredible happiness and nearly 14 years of single blessedness. Retired, and mostly enjoying it. Still knitting. [Zen]tangling.again after a brief hiatus.

Wednesday, February 14, 2007

V-Day and other madness

I finally managed to assimilate something like unto the proper holiday spirit. Ordinarily, I make Martha-esque handmade valentines for everybody in the office, and one to go into my scrapbook. Not this year; all my energy that's not going into knee-mending is going into my granddaughter's bolero. So this year they got an e-card, with Word Art and one simple sentence. I got some great responses and one lengthy exchange with a woman in the office who crochets as well as I knit, and who has a weakness for designer bags. As you shall see...

Thank you, individually and collectively, for being the best part of my workday.

Crochet Diva:
Thank you for offering to make me a sweater like the one you have on. As you know, I'm not fussy about color :)

Me:
You may not be "fussy" about color, but you are extremely savvy about it!

Crochet Diva:
If you give me your red sweater, I will give you my Vera Bradley purse and matching wallet (the large wallet w/lots of slots & compartments)

Me:
Very kind of you, and I appreciate the offer, but I'm happy with the status quo, LOL.

Crochet Diva:
Man, do you drive a hard bargain…. I'll throw in a Louis Vuitton make up bag :)

Me:
Likewise very kind, and most impressive, and still no deal. I made it with yarn that I bought from my friend Brother Stilts when he moved. I'd coveted the mohair (40 year old vintage mohair, no less) for several months before he was willing to part with it. Every time I wear this, I think of him. No deal!

Crochet Diva:
You could make me one with 6 month old vintage from Walmart, and I will think of you everytime I wear it :)

She's good, isn't she? And she still isn't getting my red shrug (the one I modeled so mischievously at Thanksgiving). As the seagulls in "Nemo" were so fond of saying, "Mine! Mine! Mine!"

My KnitPicks order came today. This is the Telemark for LittleBit's cabled hoodie. I also bought "Inspired Knits" at significant discount; it contains the pattern for the hoodie that's featured on the back of the KnitPicks catalogue. It has been on my to-buy list for about six months. I was kindof hoping it wouldn't come until tomorrow, because I'm taking the next two days off to finish the bolero so the granddaughter will be un-hoochified for her dance on Saturday night. If the yarn is at the office and I'm not, then there can be no possible distraction from finishing the project, right?

Except maybe the hank of "Anne" that I bought at lunchtime for a future project. There will be no small amount of yarn patting tomorrow, in between milestones and stitch markers.

3 comments:

Fiberjoy said...

Hmm, you do strike a hard bargain. A couple classmates of my daughter loved her knitted/felted book bag and want me to make to make them a couple. I've been hesitant since I really have no idea what to charge, and being a slow knitter it's hard enough to finish my own projects.

Drop me an email so I can swap little finger info. wjjenkins1 AT yahoo DOT com :-)

Ms. Knitingale said...

Man, you BOTH drive a hard bargain! But I loved that you mentioned the seagulls...I personally think that's one of the funniest things I've ever seen in a movie! I'm thinking of ordering the very same book for the very same pattern. I love that hoodie to pieces, although I want to do it in one color instead of two. Can't wait to see what yours looks like!

Lynn said...

LittleBit wanted hers in purple and black. (Body purple, sleeves black). So we navigated by text message, and I ordered "aubergine" because she said she wanted a purple that was more red than black.

I'd have to say that it's more burgundy than aubergine IMN2BHO.

My next job is to convince her that nobody will yell at her (or me) if we send it back and go for the royal purple. So it delays the start of her hoodie for a couple of weeks. Big deal. This is Texas. We have two seasons: summer, and February. And February is half over.