About Me

My photo
Eleven years into widowhood, after one year of incredible happiness and nearly 14 years of single blessedness. Retired, and mostly enjoying it. Still knitting. [Zen]tangling.again after a brief hiatus.

Monday, October 08, 2007

Oops.

I guess I didn’t check the kitchen out as thoroughly as I should have when I marked off the move-in checklist. There are no baking racks in the oven. Ergo, no biscuits yesterday morning. Or this morning either, for that matter.

And when I went to drain the bathroom sink after soaking the three purple sections of LittleBit’s cabled hoodie, the stopper wouldn’t pop up. I got the back section pinned out last night and almost ran out of pins, so I threw the two fronts into the tub overnight. I have one of them rolled in a towel and will go sneak pins from the back in a little while. I hope that I’ll be able to get both fronts pinned out before I leave for work. The back is looking mighty fine, but while I got gauge during the knitting, it grew a little in the soaking process. I wonder if it would have been different if I’d just steam-blocked it, as I grew up doing? This soak-and-pin business is new to me.

Also, the water in the sink was *very* purple after half an hour’s soak. The pieces don’t seem faded, so maybe it was just excess dye. This is KnitPicks’ Telemark. Has anybody else had massive bleeding with it? [Note to self: ask my Sisters of the Wool on our forum.]

I wonder if maintenance here at the new place will be on duty today, since it’s a Federal holiday. It would be nice to come home to a dry sink and a usable oven. I’ll be at my job as usual, but I won’t have to deal with incoming mail, only what came in on Saturday. And traffic will be much lighter, as will the phones. I suspect that it will be a day to play catch-up with my in-basket, and maybe I can pay invoices for some of the secretaries.

I popped on the hall light and woke LittleBit to ask if she needed to take a shower and wash her hair this morning. She sat up and said, “Wait a minute. No school today.” And I apologized for waking her. There goes my nomination for Mother of the Year!

General Conference yesterday was even better than on Saturday. I loved Elder Eyring’s talk about counting our blessings and writing down the ways and times in which we see the Hand of God in our lives. Elder Cook, who is the new Apostle, also spoke. These brethren were called to their new responsibilities on Thursday. And on Sunday they give well-considered talks to the 13+ million Latter-Day Saints who were listening in 179 countries throughout the world? That is what I call inspiration in action.

I did finish Clue 6 on MS3 yesterday, and five rows on Clue 7. Hence the scramble to get the components of LittleBit’s hoodie blocked so I can seam it up later this week. I am not quite ready to knit socks yet, so I might as well finish the WIPs. Once her hoodie is done, I might be in the mood to finish my Elann crop cardie as well.

Time for me to go pin out the first front and wrap the second one in a towel. And then I can figure out what I want to make for breakfast, that doesn’t involve baking.

1 comment:

Tola said...

Elder Eyring was the Education Commisioner when i graduated from byuh, so he gave me my sheepskin! ive always had a soft spot in my heart for him, because of that.