About Me

My photo
Ten years into widowhood, after one year of incredible happiness and nearly 14 years of single blessedness. Retired, and mostly enjoying it. Still knitting. [Zen]tangling.again after a brief hiatus.

Saturday, October 20, 2007

Real. Bad. Mood.

I used to own the Marie Sisters' CD. The track that got damaged was the one with this song.

OK, I feel a little better now. Brother Stilts would be laughing so hard, he'd be wiping his eyes.

I think we all need a little comic relief. [I know *I* do; I have been pushing boxes around all afternoon as an alternative to overdosing on comfort food. The living room actually has two chairs that are sit-able, though the TV is still unplugged and the DVD player disconnected.]

You will recall my spying a Vicious Sounding Flying Insect the other day, lurking between the mini-blinds and the kitchen window. We met up again yesterday. At 6:10am. On the handle of my mug of water. I’m not sure which of us was more startled. She was moving slowly, I am devoutly hoping not because she had just sealed up 5000 babies in a mud tube under my computer desk, and when I shook her off my finger she went THWACK into the side of a box, and over the top like Butch and Sundance jumping into the waterfall.

I did not hear her holler “Geronimo” as she went, or even “oh BLEEP” like Butch and Sundance. I was too busy remembering that I am not a screamer, so as not to wake the neighbors. [I may have emitted a few muffled yelps.]

While she was lying on the carpet, shaking her head and wondering where that nice mug of water had gone, I was going for my shoes. She is now in Bug Heaven, and when I calmed down enough to examine her, she had no discernible stripes. So she was a mud dauber, one of the good guys, and I feel a little sad and guilty.

LittleBit attended her first concert last night. The band is from LA, and they’re just starting to tour nationally. The good news is, her best friend *also* has a midnight curfew, an equally involved mother, and a boyfriend with his head on straight. In fact, her mom and her mom’s best friend went with them. So even though they were in a neighborhood that d scares me [I’ve been to poetry readings there], they were in a herd, and they were safe. She had a blast. Because it was a small venue, they got to visit with the band after the concert. She says it’s definitely going into her senior scrapbook!

Today we had round 2 of All State Choir auditions. I waited it out at the bookstore. I was only there a couple of hours; she was the first to audition and not pleased with how she did on one of the three songs. [Probably better than she thinks, though like me she usually has a good estimation of how she's done, and is not typically down on herself.] Postscript: she made it through round 2, so either everybody else messed up more than she did, or she did far better than she had thought.

So I got one side front of her hoodie attached to the front panel, and the second one started. Since coming home, I finished that one and have attached one of the sleeves to the back and am working on the second. I also bought the separating zipper while we were out, and I’ll sew that before joining the fronts to the back and stitching up the side seams. This yarn is pure pleasure to handle; I’m looking forward to working on it next week.

No way am I in the mood to go to the dance tonight. While I would love to spend the evening sitting beside Brother Sushi as he DJ’s, I am not in the mood for polite chit-chat. Or to suffer fools, of which there appear to be rather more than usual, of late. There are a couple of folks who would get the verbal equivalent of both barrels’ full of rock salt, squarely in their cheeks.

What do you think of this as a replacement for the soon-to-be frogged Swallowtail? Heaven knows I have enough beads. And loads of yarn. [Unfortunately.]

Heading back to visit with the Marie Sisters before I pick up my knitting. Cranking it up. Repenting later. J. Golden and Brother Stilts would be so pleased...

No comments: