About Me

My photo
Eleven years into widowhood, after one year of incredible happiness and nearly 14 years of single blessedness. Retired, and mostly enjoying it. Still knitting. [Zen]tangling.again after a brief hiatus.

Saturday, January 10, 2009

The Blessed Weekend

I woke ahead of the alarm today, or rather ahead of when the alarm would have gone off, had I set it. It’s a little past 7:00am as I begin this post, and I have been awake for three and a half hours. In which time I have nearly completed Clue #2 on the first sock and am currently enjoying an omelette and some toast.

Last night I came home and made a pan of cornbread. I have several of those nice silicone pans in various configurations, and I scootched that one to one side of the jelly roll pan and put half a sheet of parchment on the other side, which I then covered with potatoes for roasting. Half an hour later, the cornbread was golden brown, and the potatoes were still slightly al dente, but I ate them anyway; it had been a long day, and I was in serious need of nourishment! I nuked one of the meatloaf muffins and washed it down with a cup of milk. A healthy dinner, and there are enough potatoes left for another meal. When I nuke them, they will probably cook through the rest of the way.

This may have been the first time that I have roasted potatoes since I was a young bride; I tossed them in a gallon ziploc bag with some sweet Hungarian paprika, a generous amount of herbes de Provence, and the last of the olive oil. I planned to salt them when I took them out of the oven and completely forgot, and didn’t miss the salt. Though I realized when I reheated some of the cornbread earlier this morning, that while I don’t ordinarily put salt in my cornbread, it was a little flat this morning. So next time I’ll just put in a pinch, for the sake of the leftovers.

I finished the toe on the second Mean Green Jellybeans and am working my way up the foot. I’m hoping for a quiet weekend, in which knitting is the most exciting activity that happens. I will leave shortly to finish up the laundry, and then I have a couple of small housekeeping goals, but for the most part I want to spend this weekend eating, sleeping, reading, cooking, and knitting. Not necessarily in that order. I do have a wedding reception to attend tonight, so I won’t be entirely unsocial. I definitely want a nap after church tomorrow, since I didn’t get one last Sunday because I was babysitting the [unplugged] crockpot.

There is a new British knitting magazine that I may look for at the bookstore, while I’m out picking up fresh produce after checking the laundry off my list. Mason-Dixon Knitting says it’s a corker! And I want to listen to the KnitPicks podcast sometime today, and Sticks and Strings tomorrow.

I verified this at snopes.com [the urban legends website]. Beware of emails with Trojan viruses.

The moon is full, or near enough as makes no difference. I am feeling it. Just a wee bit loony [not one word, Ms. Firstborn!] and wistful. Brother Sushi and I rescheduled last night’s dinner for next Friday, which works better for both of us. This is likely to be the most testosterone-free weekend I have experienced in a very long time. And probably just as well. I seem to have mislaid my invisibility cloak. I suspect that rogue, stubborn ovary is the source of the problem. I think she must be yodeling again. I am wishing her a permanent case of laryngitis.

Oh drat! I am now officially drowsy after eating breakfast. Looks like I will be taking the first nap of the weekend, before heading out with the laundry. Happy Saturday, everybody! Remember who you are, and be careful out there.

No comments: