About Me

My photo
Four years into widowhood, after one year of incredible happiness and nearly 14 years of single blessedness. Have given up perfect manicures and pretty hands in order to resume playing the soprano recorder and to see if I can figure out how to play bluegrass banjo. Singing in the shower. Still really, *really* love to knit!

Saturday, January 10, 2009

The Blessed Weekend

I woke ahead of the alarm today, or rather ahead of when the alarm would have gone off, had I set it. It’s a little past 7:00am as I begin this post, and I have been awake for three and a half hours. In which time I have nearly completed Clue #2 on the first sock and am currently enjoying an omelette and some toast.

Last night I came home and made a pan of cornbread. I have several of those nice silicone pans in various configurations, and I scootched that one to one side of the jelly roll pan and put half a sheet of parchment on the other side, which I then covered with potatoes for roasting. Half an hour later, the cornbread was golden brown, and the potatoes were still slightly al dente, but I ate them anyway; it had been a long day, and I was in serious need of nourishment! I nuked one of the meatloaf muffins and washed it down with a cup of milk. A healthy dinner, and there are enough potatoes left for another meal. When I nuke them, they will probably cook through the rest of the way.

This may have been the first time that I have roasted potatoes since I was a young bride; I tossed them in a gallon ziploc bag with some sweet Hungarian paprika, a generous amount of herbes de Provence, and the last of the olive oil. I planned to salt them when I took them out of the oven and completely forgot, and didn’t miss the salt. Though I realized when I reheated some of the cornbread earlier this morning, that while I don’t ordinarily put salt in my cornbread, it was a little flat this morning. So next time I’ll just put in a pinch, for the sake of the leftovers.

I finished the toe on the second Mean Green Jellybeans and am working my way up the foot. I’m hoping for a quiet weekend, in which knitting is the most exciting activity that happens. I will leave shortly to finish up the laundry, and then I have a couple of small housekeeping goals, but for the most part I want to spend this weekend eating, sleeping, reading, cooking, and knitting. Not necessarily in that order. I do have a wedding reception to attend tonight, so I won’t be entirely unsocial. I definitely want a nap after church tomorrow, since I didn’t get one last Sunday because I was babysitting the [unplugged] crockpot.

There is a new British knitting magazine that I may look for at the bookstore, while I’m out picking up fresh produce after checking the laundry off my list. Mason-Dixon Knitting says it’s a corker! And I want to listen to the KnitPicks podcast sometime today, and Sticks and Strings tomorrow.

I verified this at snopes.com [the urban legends website]. Beware of emails with Trojan viruses.

The moon is full, or near enough as makes no difference. I am feeling it. Just a wee bit loony [not one word, Ms. Firstborn!] and wistful. Brother Sushi and I rescheduled last night’s dinner for next Friday, which works better for both of us. This is likely to be the most testosterone-free weekend I have experienced in a very long time. And probably just as well. I seem to have mislaid my invisibility cloak. I suspect that rogue, stubborn ovary is the source of the problem. I think she must be yodeling again. I am wishing her a permanent case of laryngitis.

Oh drat! I am now officially drowsy after eating breakfast. Looks like I will be taking the first nap of the weekend, before heading out with the laundry. Happy Saturday, everybody! Remember who you are, and be careful out there.

No comments: