About Me

My photo
Four years into widowhood, after one year of incredible happiness and nearly 14 years of single blessedness. Have given up perfect manicures and pretty hands in order to resume playing the soprano recorder and to see if I can figure out how to play bluegrass banjo. Singing in the shower. Still really, *really* love to knit!

Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Eye Candy and the Odd Metaphor



I was driving north on the Tollway after leaving the office yesterday afternoon, and I thought to myself, “I am almost to the Galleria. There is a Godiva store in the Galleria. And I have a gift card that the kids gave me for Mother’s Day, year before last. I wonder if it’s still any good?”

So I bought two of these [on sale, no less] and had one of them for my lunch. And the other one I saved to photograph this morning.

I picked up my check from the credit union, cashed it, and reset my mind to Heaven Standard Time. I spent the next couple of hours serving in the temple, deposited the cash in my primary account here at home, paid three bills [and still have money leftover], almost did the rest of the laundry but decided that I needed to keep the peaceful timelessness that followed me home from the temple, more than I needed clean socks at that particular moment.

So I drove back to Arlington and picked up Middlest, and we went to Knit Night, where I finally got to meet Francis’s wife! Who was knitting a scarf for her son, out of the most berry-licious yarn, which prompted Middlest to say, “Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor’s yarn.”

The Sockdown January Mystery Socks were a big hit. Everybody else seemed to like the subtlety of those glass beads as much as I do. And they liked the Mean Green Jellybeans; one of them said she is definitely interested in test-knitting the pattern, and could I please hurry up and finish the sock so she can get her hands on it?

It’s funny; I did very little actual knitting last night, and I had a great evening! Spending time with these ladies is like going to your sock drawer, pulling out a pair of socks in your favorite color(s), and enjoying how well they fit. Warmth, light, color, resilience, hugs, support, inspiration. And just as I can feel the individual stitches on the soles of my handknit socks with my princess-and-the-pea feet, so I can appreciate the differences as well as the similarities among each of us.

I woke up this morning to a happy fireplace. I almost cannot bear to leave this desk and start getting ready for work, but I need to leave in less than half an hour, and I really do like my job. Not to mention that it keeps me in chocolate, and yarn, and books.

2 comments:

Jenni said...

It was nice to see you yesterday, albeit briefly.

Sherry said...

chocolate and books---I'm with you there....and maybe someday on the yarn....