About Me

My photo
Four years into widowhood, after one year of incredible happiness and nearly 14 years of single blessedness. Have given up perfect manicures and pretty hands in order to resume playing the soprano recorder and to see if I can figure out how to play bluegrass banjo. Singing in the shower. Still really, *really* love to knit!

Thursday, January 08, 2009

“Why is there a horse in your back seat?”



And I replied, because it was in my trunk, and I had forgotten it. I found it when I pulled those three bins out of the trunk in order to get at my spare.

Eventually it will canter into the house.

Yesterday at work was pretty amazing. I entered a lawsuit to help out the data clerk, then printed off vacation letters and mailed them out for one of the secretaries. I am coming up with a system that works for me, to make sure that the right bits get into the right envelopes. After lunch, I transcribed a discovery summary for one of the attorneys; he came by mid-afternoon to see how much was left to do on it, saw that I was nearly done, and said, “Oh. You’re almost done. Very good!” And his assistant told me that she no longer needs to proofread my work. Woohoo!

When I left for the day, I was partway through a lengthy and complicated medical summary for another attorney. I marked my place on the draft in red, bolded type and will pick it back up when I get into the office. This is tape one of two [the second is yet to be dictated], and there is another, smaller, tape for the first attorney which I will transcribe between the two. I was busy all day, and when I went home last night my brain had that pleasant tiredness that comes from mental muscles being stretched.

And today, in between the flurries of transcription, I need to email the office manager my final 2008 PRT with attachments, to show her all the many ways in which I made myself useful during the year, so that I will get a nice raise this spring. I hope to be on fewer committees this year. Only one of them was even remotely effective last year, and I’m sure I’ll/we’ll get dinged on the two that were non-functional.

On a happier note, the second clue for the Sockdown January Mystery Sock will come out sometime today; don’t know if it will happen before I leave for the train station. My own sock is coming along nicely, though I didn’t get much knitting done last night.

I think there will probably be some visiting teaching tonight; I’ve left messages and need to check my voicemail and email to see if the sisters have responded.

2 comments:

Jenni said...

I'm sure a horse in your backseat is not the strangest passenger you've ever had in your car.

Tan said...

It's a very nice horse.