About Me

My photo
Ten years into widowhood, after one year of incredible happiness and nearly 14 years of single blessedness. Retired, and mostly enjoying it. Still knitting. [Zen]tangling.again after a brief hiatus.

Sunday, January 27, 2013

Better(ish).

A very productive session at my primary bank yesterday. New savings and checking accounts set up, debit card theoretically linked to the new accounts but not yet functional. I learned this at the grocery store last night; thankfully, I had sufficient cash. Since I transact no business on the Sabbath, I am fine for today, and I will double-check with the bank tomorrow.

The senior banker who assisted me was wrangling with computer issues (do we sense a trend here?) and had to escalate to a VP-on-call, in order to retrieve my new online banking log-in and help me reset the password. Last Wednesday the online banking system was upgraded, and I had created a log-in that I thought would be unforgettable. I am chuckling gently at myself, because it wasn’t.

The banker also set up the accounts so that I retain the ability to view the closed ones, should I ever again need to print off copies of an old check, as I did when I got that collection notice for a bill which I had already paid.

The fog lifted a little more yesterday. I spent much of the rest of it at Firstborn’s, where I finished that transitional row I had been nibbling away at for several days. I think I am on row 4 of the pattern now. And while the yarn is not particularly slippery, I think this may be the first pattern wherein I employ a lifeline. I dropped a stitch on the second row of pattern, when I dropped my work to untwist the yarn, and a stitch fell off one of my needles. Sadly, it was a double-decrease stitch, and it frogged back to the cast-on, so I just made up something plausible and hope it won’t be too obvious when I block the shawl.

Thankfully, I am using my KnitPicks modular needles, and I remember that sundry friends have used the hole in the ferrule which is meant for tightening the join, to hold a carrying thread. I have a lifetime supply of #10 crochet cotton (very skinny thread).

I wrote a bunch of thank-you notes before leaving the house. I will write more in a few minutes. Some will get delivered at church today. And I am suddenly reminded that it is the 27th, and I/we have not done our home teaching / visiting teaching for the month. The January Ensign, which contains both the HT and VT messages, is out on the coffee table, buried under more cards. I can grab it when I grab more cards to answer.

I don’t think I will be making personal visits this month, but I think I can manage to get everyone a copy of the messages with a personal note. I have no particular preparations to make for Primary this morning, so if I get busy now, I can be obedient (and a good friend) for the two of us, rather like Orson Scott Card’s comment that if one who has no food storage, lives next door to a family that has a two-year supply, both families will be, on average, obedient.

No comments: