About Me

My photo
Four years into widowhood, after one year of incredible happiness and nearly 14 years of single blessedness. Have given up perfect manicures and pretty hands in order to resume playing the soprano recorder and to see if I can figure out how to play bluegrass banjo. Singing in the shower. Still really, *really* love to knit!

Sunday, January 27, 2013

Better(ish).

A very productive session at my primary bank yesterday. New savings and checking accounts set up, debit card theoretically linked to the new accounts but not yet functional. I learned this at the grocery store last night; thankfully, I had sufficient cash. Since I transact no business on the Sabbath, I am fine for today, and I will double-check with the bank tomorrow.

The senior banker who assisted me was wrangling with computer issues (do we sense a trend here?) and had to escalate to a VP-on-call, in order to retrieve my new online banking log-in and help me reset the password. Last Wednesday the online banking system was upgraded, and I had created a log-in that I thought would be unforgettable. I am chuckling gently at myself, because it wasn’t.

The banker also set up the accounts so that I retain the ability to view the closed ones, should I ever again need to print off copies of an old check, as I did when I got that collection notice for a bill which I had already paid.

The fog lifted a little more yesterday. I spent much of the rest of it at Firstborn’s, where I finished that transitional row I had been nibbling away at for several days. I think I am on row 4 of the pattern now. And while the yarn is not particularly slippery, I think this may be the first pattern wherein I employ a lifeline. I dropped a stitch on the second row of pattern, when I dropped my work to untwist the yarn, and a stitch fell off one of my needles. Sadly, it was a double-decrease stitch, and it frogged back to the cast-on, so I just made up something plausible and hope it won’t be too obvious when I block the shawl.

Thankfully, I am using my KnitPicks modular needles, and I remember that sundry friends have used the hole in the ferrule which is meant for tightening the join, to hold a carrying thread. I have a lifetime supply of #10 crochet cotton (very skinny thread).

I wrote a bunch of thank-you notes before leaving the house. I will write more in a few minutes. Some will get delivered at church today. And I am suddenly reminded that it is the 27th, and I/we have not done our home teaching / visiting teaching for the month. The January Ensign, which contains both the HT and VT messages, is out on the coffee table, buried under more cards. I can grab it when I grab more cards to answer.

I don’t think I will be making personal visits this month, but I think I can manage to get everyone a copy of the messages with a personal note. I have no particular preparations to make for Primary this morning, so if I get busy now, I can be obedient (and a good friend) for the two of us, rather like Orson Scott Card’s comment that if one who has no food storage, lives next door to a family that has a two-year supply, both families will be, on average, obedient.

No comments: