About Me

My photo
Four years into widowhood, after one year of incredible happiness and nearly 14 years of single blessedness. Have given up perfect manicures and pretty hands in order to resume playing the soprano recorder and to see if I can figure out how to play bluegrass banjo. Singing in the shower. Still really, *really* love to knit!

Tuesday, January 01, 2013

Observation at the start of a year.

I had a brilliant draft here, entitled "Observation at the end of a year." And I hit a wrong button while editing it, just a minute ago, and lost the whole thing. Oye. Control-Z couldn’t bring it back.

2012 was, overall, a good year. I got married! [OK, any year in which I get married (1973, 1977, 2012) is officially a good year.] And while they joke that remarriage is the triumph of hope over experience, I really do believe that this time I got it right, or perhaps more accurately, that this time I was properly prepared and mindful, and therefore able to contribute toward its being right.

We have had a fairly quiet New Year’s Day. I woke up at the usual ridiculously early time and bound off the side of the ruana, then went back to bed for a couple of hours. Got up again and picked out the waste yarn so I could open up the front of the ruana and start knitting the gusset that traverses the nape of the neck and provides something of a shawl collar. I’m supposed to stop when the gusset is 100 stitches wide. I’m halfway there, which means that the gusset is one-fourth done. I am using up a ball of purple yarn, very soft and lush. If I run out of it, I will switch to the red silk blend I bought at the same shop, several months ago. Either will feel good against my neck when this is all bound off and wearable.

We have a portrait of Beloved, painted by a family friend when they lived in California in 1975 (coincidentally, the year I was baptized). He is alongside a trout stream, favorite fishing pole in hand (still has the pole), with trees and bushes in the background. I am going to hang it by the small ficus in the corner I have been working on for the past few days. I think it will look as if he is truly surrounded by nature’s wonder.

Mel and Squishy came by today and took a small load of stuff with them. The menorah is gone. The mezuzah is still on our doorjamb and will remain until I kick. The picture of Beloved with “the Pope” ~ in reality a standee at some shop in New Orleans ~ is also gone. The top of the entertainment center is nearly cleared off.

I asked Beloved where he got the bookends (which will remain), representing the Liahona (1 Nephi 16:10) and the golden plates from which the Book of Mormon was translated. His answer? A white elephant gift exchange at Empty Nesters. Truly, one person’s trash is another person’s treasure; I think the bookends are well designed and aesthetically pleasing.

Dinner tonight was black eyed peas and rice a/k/a Hoppin’ John for him, red beans and rice for me. I did eat one black eyed pea. It was significantly less vile than the last one I ate, roughly a quarter of a century ago. But I will not be raiding the fridge at midnight, for seconds.

Beloved would like to get on his computer (imagine that!), so I will post this and go dish up some ice cream.

Happy New Year, everybody!

No comments: