About Me

My photo
Five years into widowhood, after one year of incredible happiness and nearly 14 years of single blessedness. Have given up perfect manicures and pretty hands in order to resume playing the soprano recorder and to see if I can figure out how to play bluegrass banjo. Singing in the shower. Still really, *really* love to knit!

Tuesday, January 29, 2013


I got a call from the funeral home yesterday. Beloved’s ashes were ready to be picked up. The woman referred to them as “cremains,” which strikes me as an elegant but odious conflation. (I guess every industry has its jargon.) My mind instantly leapt to the Anthony Hopkins / Merchant Ivory / Kazuo Ishiguro classic. But I don’t think anyone would line up for a movie entitled “The Cremains of the Day.”

I had an almost normally productive day at work. I only had to double-check my work product before sending it out, as opposed to the triple-checking, and more, that I did last week. The brainfog is slowly but steadily lifting, and I am grateful.

In knitting news, I really should have inserted that lifeline when I thought of it, because I am methodically tinking back to Row 2 and will probably end up just frogging the lot of it and starting over. I dropped half a dozen stitches while pulling the circ out of the bag. Oye to the veh.

Middlest and Fourthborn and I went to Knit Night last night. LittleBit met us there and took Fourthborn home. It was good to get out with friends for an hour or so. I am not ready to do this on a weekly basis, but I missed them while I was attending to higher responsibilities, and it was very nice to see them again.

I am getting a little more comfortable, using the laptop (but I am blogging from Beloved’s computer). Middlest showed me how to bookmark last night, and I will slowly build on that. I am still writing thank-you notes in the morning before doing almost anything else. The answered cards go into a bag to share with the family. The pile of unanswered cards is gradually diminishing.

Nice man at the bank finished getting my debit card to work yesterday. I was able to use it to buy dinner last night. (Over-salted black bean burrito from the nearest Bueno, for me. I ate about a third of it and think I will not go back to that particular Bueno.) Also picked up some cream cheese to go with the bagels which are nearing the end of their useful life, so we know what I’m having for breakfast today.

No comments: