About Me

My photo
Ten years into widowhood, after one year of incredible happiness and nearly 14 years of single blessedness. Retired, and mostly enjoying it. Still knitting. [Zen]tangling.again after a brief hiatus.

Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Banjo? Ordered.

Not in stock when I went there after work. However, we found a used one in Killeen, in good condition, with a hard case, for $100 less than a new banjo alone, thus saving me nearly $250. It should show up at the office within the week. They already think I'm eccentric. This will keep that reputation burnished.

I routinely do not buy new cars. I've bought a used recorder. (Which is a little like kissing some stranger on the sidewalk downtown.) A banjo goes nowhere near my mouth. I think I'll be fine with a few fingerprints and similar signs of wear. Plus, anyone who sees me with a thoroughly broken-in banjo is likely to assume I can actually play it.

I have so enjoyed saving up for this. I found a satisfaction in planning and following through that I could not have imagined in my younger years. I hope I enjoy learning to play every bit as much.

I bought the instruction book. It comes with a CD and DVD. And the guy at the music store said I should take back the guitar stand for a refund and keep my banjo in its case when I'm not playing it. So I will; I keep Olive in her case. I'll just continue the habit.

I wonder what the banjo's name will be? I have a car named Lorelai. A truck named Tardis. An olivewood recorder named, naturally enough, Olive. Although I suppose I could have named her Olivia, but she's really more of an Olive.

I'm hoping that the banjo does not turn out to be Mephistopheles. Or Jezebel.

2 comments:

Tola said...

it will tell you its name in time.

AlisonH said...

But why would you ban Joe?

And

So now you're banjoe jumping off bridges?

And

Jumping Joe-he's-so-fat! (Perry Mason where are you now.)