About Me

My photo
Four years into widowhood, after one year of incredible happiness and nearly 14 years of single blessedness. Have given up perfect manicures and pretty hands in order to resume playing the soprano recorder and to see if I can figure out how to play bluegrass banjo. Singing in the shower. Still really, *really* love to knit!

Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Banjo? Ordered.

Not in stock when I went there after work. However, we found a used one in Killeen, in good condition, with a hard case, for $100 less than a new banjo alone, thus saving me nearly $250. It should show up at the office within the week. They already think I'm eccentric. This will keep that reputation burnished.

I routinely do not buy new cars. I've bought a used recorder. (Which is a little like kissing some stranger on the sidewalk downtown.) A banjo goes nowhere near my mouth. I think I'll be fine with a few fingerprints and similar signs of wear. Plus, anyone who sees me with a thoroughly broken-in banjo is likely to assume I can actually play it.

I have so enjoyed saving up for this. I found a satisfaction in planning and following through that I could not have imagined in my younger years. I hope I enjoy learning to play every bit as much.

I bought the instruction book. It comes with a CD and DVD. And the guy at the music store said I should take back the guitar stand for a refund and keep my banjo in its case when I'm not playing it. So I will; I keep Olive in her case. I'll just continue the habit.

I wonder what the banjo's name will be? I have a car named Lorelai. A truck named Tardis. An olivewood recorder named, naturally enough, Olive. Although I suppose I could have named her Olivia, but she's really more of an Olive.

I'm hoping that the banjo does not turn out to be Mephistopheles. Or Jezebel.

2 comments:

Tola said...

it will tell you its name in time.

AlisonH said...

But why would you ban Joe?

And

So now you're banjoe jumping off bridges?

And

Jumping Joe-he's-so-fat! (Perry Mason where are you now.)