About Me

My photo
Eleven years into widowhood, after one year of incredible happiness and nearly 14 years of single blessedness. Retired, and mostly enjoying it. Still knitting. [Zen]tangling.again after a brief hiatus.

Saturday, January 23, 2016

It's been a good day.

Woke up a little after 7:30. Bliss. I know that some people wouldn't think that waking up before 10:00 on a Saturday morning could be delicious, but it was to me. For the past couple of months I've been letting myself sleep until 6:00 on weekdays, and I think it's making a small improvement in my vitality.

I made another batch of brownies to take to T's house today. He recently had a breakup with his partner, and some of us (including Fourthborn) met to help him do some spring cleaning. More on that, later.

The first thing was to get to Fourthborn's to give Roomie some driving time. He took us to the art supply store (I stayed in the Tardis but asked him to blow kisses at the Prismacolors for me), then to check out an apartment complex closer to his work, and from there to a grocery store, which Fourthborn scouted for a possible job, and where he did their weekly grocery shopping and I hit the loo and then bought a package of single-serve Blue Bell cups to take to T's.  Roomie drove back to the apartment, and I drove us to Firstborn's to drop off my spare shredder. T's house is maybe a mile from there.

When we got there T, a friend from Knit Night, and one of his friends from the renfest were dethugging the kitchen. Fourthborn and I tackled the patio doors. Hey, it's the only part of housework that I truly enjoy. I have no idea why I find it so deeply satisfying, but I do. When we were done, the doors were not perfectly clean (there are lots of scratches in the glass from his dog), but they were much improved.

Then most of us sat on the couch and knitted or crocheted while watching the last three-fourths or so of Strange Magic, which is an OK movie with a terrific soundtrack. Anytime you have someone of Kristin Chenoweth's caliber singing the part of the Sugar Plum Fairy, you are by definition in for a good time. At least musically.

Fourthborn worked on her entry for next month's art contest at the comic book shop where Roomie works. I hadn't seen it for a couple of weeks, and it's really coming to life.

At the library, I picked up the first two books in the next series by Rick Riordan. I've placed holds on the next three books. I can only hope that they become available in chronological order, and quickly. I'm a little put off that some of the characters take the Lord's name in vain. They would probably say that they were referring to the Greek or Roman gods, but it still makes me uncomfortable. If I buy my own copies when I finish the series, I will fix that with white-out. It is so unnecessary.

I'm tired, and my hands are parched and itchy. I deliberately left the remainder of the brownies out in the Tardis, so as not to be tempted by them. I'll take them to Mel and Squishy's tomorrow night for Downton Abbey.

I'm going to slip into my jammies, lotion up my hands and my feet, and read until I can't keep my eyes open any longer.

No comments: