About Me

My photo
Eleven years into widowhood, after one year of incredible happiness and nearly 14 years of single blessedness. Retired, and mostly enjoying it. Still knitting. [Zen]tangling.again after a brief hiatus.

Sunday, August 04, 2019

The Princess and the Pea-Brain

So, my normal (stop laughing) MO is to carefully place my breakfast on my bed, walk around, grab the juice, put it on the bedside table, and get into bed. Something, I don't remember what, distracted me Friday morning.

I cheerfully hopped into bed and hopped right back out, muttering childbirth words. Which is why I did the first of two loads before breakfast. Fourthborn helped me stuff the mattress pad, which did its job of protecting my mattress from the evil orange juice, into the washing machine. Middlest helped by unlocking and opening the door to the garage.

My granola was wilted like a Victorian heroine when I got back to it but was still delicious.

I hope your Friday was significantly less adventurous.

***

As it turned out, the mattress pad did not survive its swim. The plastic backing pulled away along most of the stitching lines. I spread it out on the garage floor to dry, with the idea of cramming it into a garbage bag when it no longer weighed ten pounds or more. It is still out in the garage. I might remember to grab it tomorrow night and put it in the bin.

The sheets fared better. Fourthborn loaded them into the dryer after I left for work, and I remade the bed when I got home from work.

You would think that a thin layer of padding between mattress and Ms. Ravelled would not make all that much difference in quality of sleep. And you would be mistaken. Sadly mistaken. I did not sleep long, nor did I sleep well.

After family brunch at IKEA, we stopped at my favorite home goods shop and picked up an inexpensive mattress pad. I unmade the bed, remade the bed, and promptly died for about four hours.

Bliss!

I have been Zentangling all weekend. Last night's tile used an L-shaped string and all seven of the tangles that I'd learned. I saved the shading for today and have drawn another tile since then. I am now ready to read or knit or maybe just go to sleep early.

It's been a good day. I'm at that weird, slightly strung-out stage which comes when you've brained a little too hard and a little too long. For once, Brain is the one asking if we can please just stop thinking and go to bed, and Body is saying, but I'm still having fun, and it's light outside, and I don't wanna.

This could get interesting.

No comments: