About Me

My photo
Eleven years into widowhood, after one year of incredible happiness and nearly 14 years of single blessedness. Retired, and mostly enjoying it. Still knitting. [Zen]tangling.again after a brief hiatus.

Wednesday, March 16, 2022

Cool stuff that happened today and/or this week and/or a quarter-century ago.

I may have mentioned that I became a notary late last year. Today I got to administer the oath to one of my friends at work and notarize her certificate.

I don't know how long it's been there, but there's a huge Ukrainian flag dancing in the wind above one of the older, shorter office buildings on the way out of downtown. It touches my heart and nearly moves me to tears every time I see it. It moves much more fluidly than Old Glory. I don't know if it's because there are fewer seams or if it's made from different fabric. Do they ever make flags of silk? This one ripples like a belly dancer's scarf.

How do I know about belly dancers' scarves, you ask. I took lessons 24 years ago, a few months after my divorce, because my body was rigid with repressed emotion and atrophied sexuality. Taking a lover was not an option. Bodily autonomy was. I only had lessons for a couple of months, because the teacher's schedule changed and because one of my close friends wanted to take the class with me, and I didn't want to share. That friend was even more competitive than I am, and I wanted something that was mine and mine alone. At that point I didn't have sufficient emotional strength to formulate and declare a boundary, much less enforce one.

Whoop! Wordle drops in two minutes or less. Later, gators!

1 comment:

Rory said...

Historically, flags have been made of silk. Most sold for private use are made of a nylon blend of some sort for durability, but traditionally, our flags have been made of silk. That is how it is recorded in our textbooks and it I'd what I was told as a military spouse. One of the things they brief spouses on before a first deployment (whether it war or peace time) is what to expect if you get that knock on your door. A silk flag is one of those things delivered to the widows or family of the fallen soldiers.