About Me

My photo
Eleven years into widowhood, after one year of incredible happiness and nearly 14 years of single blessedness. Retired, and mostly enjoying it. Still knitting. [Zen]tangling.again after a brief hiatus.

Tuesday, March 22, 2022

Taco watch v. taco warning

I recently saw a meme which related the difference between a tornado watch and a tornado warning to the process of making tacos.

A taco watch means that all of the ingredients are in place, but more needs to happen before you can eat.

A taco warning means that you have a complete taco. Right there. In front of you.

We were under a severe weather alert yesterday. I managed to tank Diana at Costco and get inside the store between showers. I'd been shopping for less than ten minutes when managers started rounding up the customers and aiming us at either the dairy cooler or the produce cooler.

I chose the dairy cooler and decided to make the best of the situation. Walked up to a youngish man in a mask and gave him the grandma smile above my own mask. He was wearing a short sleeved T-shirt. I was wearing several layers of Gudrun, so I invited him to stand right next to me, upper arm to upper arm, and take advantage of my geriatric body heat.

I gave him my first name. He gave me his. I got him talking, and for half an hour we had the best conversation. Mostly I listened and nodded. Toward the end, I fired up Marco Polo (miracle: I had a good signal) and told the non-bipolar-bears where I was and introduced my new friend. Yeah, my feet ached, but the memory still makes me grin.

It was raining buckets by the time I checked out and headed to Diana. I was soaked to the skin by the time I had her loaded up and returned my cart (some people like to park close to the entrance; I prefer to park by a cart return, because when I'm done shopping, I am done, and I don't want to be one of those people who leaves her cart where it can run into somebody's car).

I backed Diana up the driveway, close to the house, and handed off items to Middlest on the porch. He would have come out into the deluge, but I figured there was no point in both of us being half-drowned. Then he stowed the groceries while I went out into the garage, peeled out of everything and put the wet stuff on top of the washer, grabbed fresh underwear from the clean pile, and marched back to my bedroom in the glorious altogether. After a long poach in the shower, I came out and ate dinner, then retired to my room with a tall hot chocolate.

Tonight I'm doing laundry. My sneakers were still damp this morning, so I wore my Fluevog boots. May I state for the record that they are immensely comfortable. My stride is a little different in them, and I felt a bit of crabbiness near my right kneecap, but I think that's more a factor of it being almost time to replace my sneakers rather than anything wrong with the boots.

I now want to have a pair of these boots in every conceivable color.

Oh dear. I side-stepped over to the website, and they have !!purple!! platform cowboy boots, and my bonus hits on Friday. Sighing, because I'm pretty sure I won't be able to get my feet inside them, and sending myself out to the garage to finish tonight's laundry.

No comments: