About Me

My photo
Eleven years into widowhood, after one year of incredible happiness and nearly 14 years of single blessedness. Retired, and mostly enjoying it. Still knitting. [Zen]tangling.again after a brief hiatus.

Tuesday, March 01, 2022

I finished reading a book! With a plot! In one day and two evenings!

Perhaps the most annoying part of having had this months-long slog through a series of non-life-threatening illnesses has been the brain fog. My sister gave me two cozy mysteries for Christmas. Shortly after the turn of the year, I began reading the first one, and I bogged down about a quarter of an inch in, shortly after the story within a story begins.

On Sunday after church I took out the book again, started from the beginning, and got about halfway through before bedtime. Last night after work I read a little over half of the remaining pages. A few minutes ago, I finished the book. In my prime, I probably would have devoured it in one or two sittings. I used to read about a hundred pages an hour, depending upon the density of the writing. This book is British, ergo significantly more substantive than the typical American whodunnit, And not all of my cylinders are firing the way they used to.

I've yet to learn if this is likely to pass or if my CPU needs the kind of de-fragging that only comes with a resurrected body. Naturally enough, I'm hoping the former. The OLS (oh look shiny) is still with me; it just takes me longer to refocus.

Anyway, now I can write my sister a proper thank-you note, and I can start reading my Sense & Sensibility manga with a clear conscience. I also need to skim through the 2022 challenges in my non-Austen reading club and see if this book ticks any of the boxes.

I was back in the office today, which means a faster connection to the server and two full-sized monitors to work with, which definitely increases my ability to complete my To-Do's.

Foodie note: the French onion mac & cheese from Trader Joe's is really quite tasty. One package makes two nice servings for me. I had some for dinner tonight, and there's another serving for lunch later in the week.

Night, y'all.

No comments: