About Me

My photo
Eleven years into widowhood, after one year of incredible happiness and nearly 14 years of single blessedness. Retired, and mostly enjoying it. Still knitting. [Zen]tangling.again after a brief hiatus.

Friday, March 04, 2022

Garbage sleep.

No, it does not involve climbing into a dumpster to catch some Z's. It's a phrase that Fourthborn said earlier today, and again just now, to describe the quality (non-quality) of the sleep she experienced last night. Turns out that Middlest and I both had that kind of sleep. I got somewhere between 3.5 and four hours, when I'd set the alarm to give me a smidgen over five.

So it was definitely a Cherry Coke day, and at various points I found myself slowly rocking back and forth, teetering on the edge of consciousness. I broke that up by standing up, walking to another part of the office to do a thing or speak to a coworker, and by the grace of Heaven I got through the day without face-planting into my keyboard. But it was a near one.

The drive home was mostly smooth and easy. I did have to rewind the audiobook two or three times when my mind scampered off on the bunny trail. The Mysteries of Udolpho is about 80% done. It's actually pretty interesting now, and I hope it stays that way to the end.

I rewarded myself for staying awake on the drive home by getting an ice cream cone. When it was my turn to order in the drive-thru, I suddenly couldn't remember the name of the flavor I wanted and apologized to the woman who was working the speaker. I said, "I'm sorry, I've had a really long day, and I'm not finding the name, but it's chocolate and has coconut and pecans." She offered, "German chocolate?" And I said, "Yes!!! Thank you!"

When I got to the window to pay, she wouldn't take my card. "No, this one's on me. You said you'd had a hard day. Go have a nice evening."

Wow. Just, wow. Angels show up in the most unlikely places.

No comments: