About Me

My photo
Eleven years into widowhood, after one year of incredible happiness and nearly 14 years of single blessedness. Retired, and mostly enjoying it. Still knitting. [Zen]tangling.again after a brief hiatus.

Friday, August 04, 2006

"Here are all the buttons from my mother's sewing kit. Enjoy!"

"See ya when I get back from the Big Apple. C."

Thus was I greeted upon my return to work on Monday, after a much-needed three day weekend. One very large, very plain green gift bag waiting on my desk, stapled shut with that note.

I cannot imagine a more meaningful compliment, or a sweeter testament of friendship. Oh sweet mother-of-pearl!!! There are buttons in there dating back to the 50's! Including a perfectly matched pair with more piercings than your average rock star, which I am converting to earrings. They won't do when I'm sitting at switchboard, because the phone will ricochet out from under my ear and land with a mutually-deafening clunk! onto my desk. But I think they will be fine for church, and I do believe that I will wear them to the dance tonight.

[I will insert a photo of the earrings later.]

Thank you so much, C. I can only hope your mother is grinning as hugely in Heaven, as I am in Texas.

No comments: