About Me

My photo
Four years into widowhood, after one year of incredible happiness and nearly 14 years of single blessedness. Have given up perfect manicures and pretty hands in order to resume playing the soprano recorder and to see if I can figure out how to play bluegrass banjo. Singing in the shower. Still really, *really* love to knit!

Friday, August 04, 2006

"Here are all the buttons from my mother's sewing kit. Enjoy!"

"See ya when I get back from the Big Apple. C."

Thus was I greeted upon my return to work on Monday, after a much-needed three day weekend. One very large, very plain green gift bag waiting on my desk, stapled shut with that note.

I cannot imagine a more meaningful compliment, or a sweeter testament of friendship. Oh sweet mother-of-pearl!!! There are buttons in there dating back to the 50's! Including a perfectly matched pair with more piercings than your average rock star, which I am converting to earrings. They won't do when I'm sitting at switchboard, because the phone will ricochet out from under my ear and land with a mutually-deafening clunk! onto my desk. But I think they will be fine for church, and I do believe that I will wear them to the dance tonight.

[I will insert a photo of the earrings later.]

Thank you so much, C. I can only hope your mother is grinning as hugely in Heaven, as I am in Texas.

No comments: