About Me

My photo
Eleven years into widowhood, after one year of incredible happiness and nearly 14 years of single blessedness. Retired, and mostly enjoying it. Still knitting. [Zen]tangling.again after a brief hiatus.

Friday, February 01, 2008

I am half-sick of teachers, cried the Lady of Shalott.

More drama. [Pun intended.] Choir director loves the tweaking I did to LittleBit’s costume. Drama teacher insists that we accessorize with a different color, because another of the Shark girlfriends chose black, and she sewed her ribbon onto her costume.

One bright note: LittleBit loves the corsage I picked and can’t wait to use it on something else in real life, so I will need to find one of my own. Back to JoAnn’s I go; we’re hoping to find ribbon and a corsage in an acceptable shade of yellow. LittleBit refuses to go with the suggested green, as the dress is sufficiently poufy to resemble a pumpkin.

Thankfully, I get off an hour early today. I’ll swing by the fabric store before heading north to dinner. [I have my coupon for my free queso and a church program to prove that we are a religious group and can get the discount.] LittleBit has rehearsals all day tomorrow. Woe be unto us if her costume is un-tweaked.

If you’re local and you want tickets and I haven’t already emailed you, please email me or leave a message on my cell phone or LittleBit’s.

I have two bits of good news. Had my performance review on Wednesday; my office manager said I had a really great year, and my bonus will reflect that.

Even better than that, is the fact that I got the go-ahead to start training a few hours a week with two of the legal secretaries so that when one of our longtime secretaries retires this fall, I have a decent chance of stepping away from the switchboard and into her shoes. Our office manager loves to promote from within, when she can. I’ve already whipped up an Excel spread sheet to document my training, and we start on Tuesday!

When I transferred from claims to the legal department in 2001, it was with the option of moving up to legal secretary when the opportunity presented itself. And the staffing model has changed over the past several years. I had pretty much resigned myself to answering phones until I complete my CPCU, and then moving into underwriting.

But I really like where I work, and I love the people I work with. I would much rather work in downtown Dallas, in a historic building, with these folks and my other friends in the building, than to drive to the Operations Center on the cusp of Dallas and Plano. The only good thing about working at the DOC is that the credit union is in the same building, and I could just walk over on my lunch hour when I need to top off my other account, or finance the next car in a few years. I’m not overly impressed with their cafeteria.

I’m going to grab Firestarter and knit while the tub fills. Eight more rounds and I start the cuff! I may well be working on the other sock by bedtime tomorrow. And there is dinner tonight with my own Grumpy Old Men and my fellow Grumpettes to look forward to. Maybe I can teach them all how to make snow angels in my yarn stash?

2 comments:

Rory said...

I am so beyond fed up with baby sister's teachers. That dress looked great the first time, and why should it matter if another dress also has black accents? *fumes*

I'm glad for the good news on the work side though. I know you're really happy working where you do, and it'd be nice for you to get that recognition, in the form of the promotion. :) I'll cross my fingers for you.

Tan said...

I want to see pictures of Little Bit's costume!

Why didn't anyone come by and sell me any Thin Mints?