About Me

My photo
Eleven years into widowhood, after one year of incredible happiness and nearly 14 years of single blessedness. Retired, and mostly enjoying it. Still knitting. [Zen]tangling.again after a brief hiatus.

Saturday, December 27, 2008

Much reading chez Ravelled; some knitting, too.

I refer you to my friend Francis’s recent post. And, separately, to the article to which he links. Which I read in its entirety. All 66 e-pages. Accompanied by much sighing, occasional mental
“are we there yet?”s, and occasional breaks for Sudoku or Mah-Johngg Toy Chest. A long, long article in the sense that childbirth is a long, long process. And possibly in its own way, equally worthwhile.

The author keeps returning to the principle that the family is the cornerstone of civilization and must be protected. I would have argued with much of what he says, had I read this thirty years ago. But now as I watch my grandchildren growing up in a world that is more unabashedly sinful than the one I grew up in, I think he is right on the money.

Thank you, Francis. My brain hurts from putting more pieces together, and I am severely in need of chocolate, but I feel both a little smarter and a little wiser than when I woke up this morning, and I know where the happy chocolate lives...

Knitting content. We need knitting content.



This is a [white, really!] washcloth, beribboned to a book. The tub is filling, and I need to be out the door in about ten minutes for BittyBit’s birthday party. BestFriend is coming over this afternoon, and I have an optional potluck with the singles tonight.

And sometime between now and 2:00 tomorrow afternoon, I need to put together the Gospel Doctrine lesson.

1 comment:

Francis Shivone said...

Lynn -- for some reason "She Who Must Be Obeyed" is expecting me to relate messages to you about her. Is that understandable?

Anyway, the wife said to apologize for not showing at the knitting
class, Christmas busyness and all.

Not that I mind being the go between, but with your permission I am going to give her your email address.

The whole essay? That is pretty serious political philosophy. Well done.