About Me

My photo
Ten years into widowhood, after one year of incredible happiness and nearly 14 years of single blessedness. Retired, and mostly enjoying it. Still knitting. [Zen]tangling.again after a brief hiatus.

Monday, December 08, 2008

On Enjoying the Wait

David Reidy’s Sticks and Strings podcast was especially good yesterday. I liked his essay on the pleasures of delayed gratification [vs. the greed that is so typical of modern times and the messes such greed inevitably gets us into]. The music is also lovely. And he mentions in passing that he is writing a textbook for a class he teaches. Well, of course; he’s a knitter who appreciates St. Elizabeth of Zimmermann and being the boss of one’s knitting. Why not extend that into his professional life as well?

I just finished turning the heel on my Wollmeise sock. I started out following the pattern for that, but the KFB and PFB just seemed bunchy in this yarn, so I frogged back and worked an extra gusset increase round [to 57 stitches] and then marked off 24 stitches to either side of center for the gusset decreases. Fits like a champ! Plenty of room for my high arches, and the perfect length on the sole.

I also steam-blocked the ornament which I made for MsSMU this weekend, for reasons that will be evident when I post all the knitted gifts sometime after Christmas. Let the record show that this is the first time I have used my iron since moving into the duplex last June. Yes, I knew exactly where it was. Yes, I still remembered which end the water goes in. No, I do not feel inclined to press anything else; I’ve already folded up my over-the-door ironing board and put the iron away.

And I’ve figured out what to give LittleBit for her birthday later this month. Il me plaît beaucoup, and I hope she’s pleased as well.

No pictures of the sock in progress today; it’s at that awkward adolescent stage and feeling a bit camera-shy.

No comments: