About Me

My photo
Four years into widowhood, after one year of incredible happiness and nearly 14 years of single blessedness. Have given up perfect manicures and pretty hands in order to resume playing the soprano recorder and to see if I can figure out how to play bluegrass banjo. Singing in the shower. Still really, *really* love to knit!

Monday, December 08, 2008

On Enjoying the Wait

David Reidy’s Sticks and Strings podcast was especially good yesterday. I liked his essay on the pleasures of delayed gratification [vs. the greed that is so typical of modern times and the messes such greed inevitably gets us into]. The music is also lovely. And he mentions in passing that he is writing a textbook for a class he teaches. Well, of course; he’s a knitter who appreciates St. Elizabeth of Zimmermann and being the boss of one’s knitting. Why not extend that into his professional life as well?

I just finished turning the heel on my Wollmeise sock. I started out following the pattern for that, but the KFB and PFB just seemed bunchy in this yarn, so I frogged back and worked an extra gusset increase round [to 57 stitches] and then marked off 24 stitches to either side of center for the gusset decreases. Fits like a champ! Plenty of room for my high arches, and the perfect length on the sole.

I also steam-blocked the ornament which I made for MsSMU this weekend, for reasons that will be evident when I post all the knitted gifts sometime after Christmas. Let the record show that this is the first time I have used my iron since moving into the duplex last June. Yes, I knew exactly where it was. Yes, I still remembered which end the water goes in. No, I do not feel inclined to press anything else; I’ve already folded up my over-the-door ironing board and put the iron away.

And I’ve figured out what to give LittleBit for her birthday later this month. Il me plaît beaucoup, and I hope she’s pleased as well.

No pictures of the sock in progress today; it’s at that awkward adolescent stage and feeling a bit camera-shy.

No comments: