About Me

My photo
Eleven years into widowhood, after one year of incredible happiness and nearly 14 years of single blessedness. Retired, and mostly enjoying it. Still knitting. [Zen]tangling.again after a brief hiatus.

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

No grapes (wrathful or otherwise) last night.

I went to work with just my black leather jacket, instead of my raincoat and its warm zip-out lining. By the time I got home, I was a little chilled, and coughing, and in no mind to go out again. [Yes, I will be wearing my real, grown-up coat today; there is snow in the forecast for tonight.]

So I opened a can of soup for dinner and enjoyed it thoroughly.

Much knitting progress yesterday. I am nearly done with the gusset increases on sock #2. Memo to self: put a few band-aids into the knitting kit, to cover the spot I keep poking when I push the stitches. I don’t know why I poke holes in my left fingertip and not my right. I push both needle tips each time I make a stitch. It only happens with 00 needles, or smaller.

Next project will be something with fatter yarn on fatter needles; I’ve put in four weeks, thus far, on these socks, and I’m about ready for size 4-6 needles and another lace cowl for my neck. That little cashmere one I whipped up is light and airy and deceptively warm: just enough to keep the ambient tension level in my trapezius muscles within acceptable levels. I still have some of my Christmas yarn money tucked away, and I think I will keep my eye peeled for more of that Jojoland cashmere. It is bliss to knit and even more heavenly to wear.

Not much going on, chez Ravelled. Still chewing my way through the Sharon Kay Penman tome. Great writing, good story, it’s just that there’s so much of it. And there are nearly as many characters as in the average Russian novel, and the minor ones keep switching sides. (At least I am not having to deal with patronymics!) I’m thankful that she put a family tree in the beginning of the book. We are talking a truly uncivil, civil war, and I’m ready to pinch people’s heads off or send them to their rooms until they can behave.

I’m on page 406. There are 340 pages to go. And I now know just enough about what was going on in England in the 1140’s to embarrass myself in conversation with an English History major. (Thankfully, I’m not aware that I know any.)

Time to fix myself a nice bowl of hot cereal and think about heading out the door.

Knit Night is almost entirely dependent upon the weather, though I am in no mood to drive; I may just come home, even if the roads are clear.

1 comment:

Sherry said...

Glad to hear you're reading and enjoying? the book. If you ever think you'd like to read more about 11th century England, I have the next two in the series. And she's writing a fourth, about Richard Lionheart, to complete the quartet. It can be a bit overwhelming, but I love this stuff.