About Me

My photo
Eleven years into widowhood, after one year of incredible happiness and nearly 14 years of single blessedness. Retired, and mostly enjoying it. Still knitting. [Zen]tangling.again after a brief hiatus.

Wednesday, February 03, 2010

Why are you tearing up my street?

Looks as if I picked the wrong day to be home and sick. I was tempted to step out onto the porch with my camera and take pictures of the backhoe and other things that go beep in the day. But as I was still in my flannel nightie, and my hair looked even more appalling than my poor, sore beak, I took a pass. I didn’t want those poor honest workmen to think that I was the advance guard for a zombie infestation.

I made something like unto chili yesterday. A pound of ultra-lean ground beef, half a package of frozen chopped onions and peppers, the leftover potato water from Monday night, about a cup of minced sun-dried tomatoes in olive oil, my last can of garbanzos, and two cans of Ro-Tel Original. More Mediterranean than Mexican in inspiration, but plenty fiery. At this point I still don’t know if it tastes good, but it went a long way toward clearing my head. And there is a whole lot of it leftover in the fridge, so I will neither starve, nor run out of gas.

A plus side to being home was the opportunity to chat via Facebook with NintendoMan, who sent me an irreverent get-well card. For once, we were awake and online at the same time; that hasn’t happened a lot lately and is all the more amazing considering how little I was actually awake yesterday. He prescribed soup and sleep. But I think the laughter did me as much good as anything.

Another silver lining to this storm cloud that has taken up residence in my head, is that I flat do not have the energy to be lonely. Breathing seems, oh I don’t know, a whole lot more important at the moment.

I found the last little dab of pepperjack cheese. I ate it to confuse the garbanzo beans.

Knitting happened. Maybe another half-inch on the heel gussets. Nothing worth getting up to grab the camera for.

I made my Excel spreadsheet for paying off the line of credit by the end of next year, and I calculated how much needs to come out of each paycheck. Next year will actually be a little easier in terms of cash flow, because Lorelai will be paid off in late January or early February, and I will roll that payment over into the other loan. Just guesstimating, but I should be completely out of debt by Labor Day 2011. And once those two loans are paid off, I will throw it all into my emergency fund. And then I will be, officially, obedient. [And can tackle gardening and genealogy, though possibly not simultaneously.]

Staying home again today, though I am feeling considerably better than when I went to bed last night. The hot *unleaded* toddies seem to be helping. I am having cinnamon toast for breakfast and contemplating my first nap of the day. (I've been up for a little over an hour; I love naps, but not that much.) I just called into work, and last night I canceled tonight’s presidency meeting.

I am now going to stand in the shower and poach my head. Maybe I can get a nice nap in before the boys come back to play with the über-Tonkas in the street.

2 comments:

Jenni said...

Glad you are on the way back to feeling human & that you had some good distractions yesterday.

AlisonH said...

Get better soon!