About Me

My photo
Four years into widowhood, after one year of incredible happiness and nearly 14 years of single blessedness. Have given up perfect manicures and pretty hands in order to resume playing the soprano recorder and to see if I can figure out how to play bluegrass banjo. Singing in the shower. Still really, *really* love to knit!

Wednesday, February 03, 2010

Why are you tearing up my street?

Looks as if I picked the wrong day to be home and sick. I was tempted to step out onto the porch with my camera and take pictures of the backhoe and other things that go beep in the day. But as I was still in my flannel nightie, and my hair looked even more appalling than my poor, sore beak, I took a pass. I didn’t want those poor honest workmen to think that I was the advance guard for a zombie infestation.

I made something like unto chili yesterday. A pound of ultra-lean ground beef, half a package of frozen chopped onions and peppers, the leftover potato water from Monday night, about a cup of minced sun-dried tomatoes in olive oil, my last can of garbanzos, and two cans of Ro-Tel Original. More Mediterranean than Mexican in inspiration, but plenty fiery. At this point I still don’t know if it tastes good, but it went a long way toward clearing my head. And there is a whole lot of it leftover in the fridge, so I will neither starve, nor run out of gas.

A plus side to being home was the opportunity to chat via Facebook with NintendoMan, who sent me an irreverent get-well card. For once, we were awake and online at the same time; that hasn’t happened a lot lately and is all the more amazing considering how little I was actually awake yesterday. He prescribed soup and sleep. But I think the laughter did me as much good as anything.

Another silver lining to this storm cloud that has taken up residence in my head, is that I flat do not have the energy to be lonely. Breathing seems, oh I don’t know, a whole lot more important at the moment.

I found the last little dab of pepperjack cheese. I ate it to confuse the garbanzo beans.

Knitting happened. Maybe another half-inch on the heel gussets. Nothing worth getting up to grab the camera for.

I made my Excel spreadsheet for paying off the line of credit by the end of next year, and I calculated how much needs to come out of each paycheck. Next year will actually be a little easier in terms of cash flow, because Lorelai will be paid off in late January or early February, and I will roll that payment over into the other loan. Just guesstimating, but I should be completely out of debt by Labor Day 2011. And once those two loans are paid off, I will throw it all into my emergency fund. And then I will be, officially, obedient. [And can tackle gardening and genealogy, though possibly not simultaneously.]

Staying home again today, though I am feeling considerably better than when I went to bed last night. The hot *unleaded* toddies seem to be helping. I am having cinnamon toast for breakfast and contemplating my first nap of the day. (I've been up for a little over an hour; I love naps, but not that much.) I just called into work, and last night I canceled tonight’s presidency meeting.

I am now going to stand in the shower and poach my head. Maybe I can get a nice nap in before the boys come back to play with the ├╝ber-Tonkas in the street.

2 comments:

Jenni said...

Glad you are on the way back to feeling human & that you had some good distractions yesterday.

AlisonH said...

Get better soon!